Shall I switch to Blocs?

CSS Grid is very different. You can size and position grid items in any order, re-order them and resize them at different breakpoints and overlay them and overlap them, You can build an entire page with CSS Grid.

1 Like

Bootstrap 5 does have a (as they call it) CSS grid with a bootstrap twist, but you have to enable it AFAIK.

You would use CSS Grid instead of Flex. There are times when one is better suited than the other depending on the design. For example the table tutorial I did uses CSS Grid.

Be nice to see native support in blocs though. Implementing it would be interesting.

I would not care about the price. The main issue is the dependency..

CSS Grid and Flex are a really great solution. They achieve different things but work perfectly together. E.g. you could use CSS Grid to define 2 grid items that overlap but, then use Flexbox to align the content within each grid item.

2 Likes

Just to clarify:
Sitelok, developed by Vibralogix, (Buy Membership Software and Systems Online UK | Vibralogix), is an outstanding tool for managing passwords.
What JW did was to create a suite of stacks for easy configuration in RW.

JW also has a simpler Stack for locking pages.

Just a GREAT group of people here, all willing to help, but you know, with Blocs, you really donā€™t need a whole lot of help.

3 Likes

One of the biggest issues for RW, apart from what the others have mentioned, is that RW is dependent on Stacks to be of any use.. .

1 Like

Iā€™m going to move from RW to Blocs as soon a V5 is released (I donā€™t want to pay for V4 now, then V5 again in two weeks). Iā€™ve spent years of headaches with RW. I get a template, it seems to fit what I need, but when I open it in RW, the controls are nonsensical, some are missing or hidden, Iā€™ve always had to contact the devs to find out where controls are, and half the time they didnā€™t work as advertised. I wasted a ton of money over years on Stacks plugins that simply were too buggy or didnā€™t work as advertised. Not to mention theyā€™re getting way too expensive for what youā€™re purchasing. So yes, there are lots of Stacks and templates out for RW, but bear in mind most of them are garbage and buggy. RW itself has had its share of major bugs. Finally, thereā€™s a new structure to RW, thereā€™s different versions of it, and itā€™s very confusing to me. That was the straw that broke the camelā€™s back. It ainā€™t all that, so Iā€™m looking forward to Blocs. Just waiting for V5 to be released so I can purchase it.

7 Likes

Welcome to Blocs @benb - there are a few ex RW users here, me included.
I found RW in the end expensive, slow, and had to keep buying stacks for simple things.
To get all what you get with Blocs in RW would cost a LOT! and a lot of Stacks!

Enjoy and please post your work - we all love to see what people have done!

3 Likes

Welcome to the Blocs Community, Ben!
I am sure you are going to love Blocs app!

4 Likes

Welcome Ben.
You will be happy you made the switchā€¦I know I was!

Rich the Weather Guy

3 Likes

Welcome to the community Ben!

3 Likes

Welcome! Check this forum daily; there are so many tips and tricks shared here!

2 Likes

Welcome @benb

Having transitioned from RW the past year, I can strongly suggest you go ahead.

Blocs is a complete app to develop a front facing site, meaning you donā€™t need any plugins to develop any website.

The only downside would be that Blocā€™s plug-in marketplace is not as big as RWā€™s, but in my case that wasnā€™t an issue.

The big pro is that Blocs uses Bootstrap as its foundation, generating websites in an efficient way using classes, similarly to what Foundation does in RW, but in a descending framework and a much worse/difficult to use UI.

Whilst Foundry uses Bootstrap too, the flexibility and optimization is far behind, lacking the classes technique.

My favorite thing about Blocs, is that after using it a lot, you get familiarity with proper front end development and CSS attributes, since the process requires using classes and manipulating CSS attributes values. After 1 year of Blocs development, I have no issue whatsoever working with CSS or Bootstrap (in a hugely slower pace of course), thanks to that easy to use UI and optionsā€™ labels matching CSS attributes keys, which essentially pushing/teaching you to use proper CSS.

Could not be happier.

4 Likes

We may not have a lot of them, but we do have some very dedicated enthusiastic Bric and Template builders for Blocs. Oh letā€™s not forget there are so many that are willing to help with development or get you through some of the problems you may have. Iā€™m not sure youā€™ll find better support than what you see here. Not to mention @Norm The developer of blocs is often in this Forum Lending a hand, which I have no idea how he has time for. :smile:

https://blocs.store Both paid and free Brics, Blocs, Templates and moreā€¦

For Blocs Templates

3 Likes