The future of Blocs + macOS Big Sur

Running the current Developer Build. No outstanding issues so far…

1 Like

Ditto. All running smooth.

1 Like

Would you say it is an improvement over Catalina or Mojave?

First I would say it’s a matter of taste. As I said earlier, the UI looks like a mixture of IOS and MacOS.
But it seams to me, that it’s running very smooth and fast. Faster than Catalina - on the same machine from an external USB-C SSD.
But we should wait until the final release comes out.
I like it so far.

1 Like

My main concern is stability and Catalina just feels more fragile than Mojave. It’s not a disaster for me, but I’ll never look back and think Catalina was a wonderful OS.

I am guessing we are no more than a week or two away from seeing the release of Big Sur, so I am curious to hear thoughts on the new OS from those who are actively running it with Blocs and I imagine Norm is also testing this.

One caveat is that bootable backups to an external drive are looking tricky at the moment in Big Sur, so I would check out the situation before upgrading, since I gather there would be no way back. Shirt Pocket Watch - Under Construction

Most of the Big Sur specific show stopper issues with Blocs were snagged early on. But this year the MacOS betas have been pretty ropey at times. I’ve no doubt once it’s (Big Sur) wide spread more will rise out of the wood work, but I’ll be on hand to get them addressed as soon as possible.

Until then testing will continue.

OK thanks, I guess I’ll stick with Catalina for at least a month or two on the main machine. Mojave still seems like best OS I’ve ever run in terms of stability and compatibility to date.

2 Likes

Yeah I usually wait an entire year before I update my main workhorse, I’ve just updated to Catalina over the summer on that machine. I have various other Macs I test the other OS versions on.

If all goes well I 'll getting this and found out it has the T2 chip
Apple MacBook Pro 16" Touch Bar Intel 8 Core i9 2.4GHz 32GB RAM Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB 1TB SSD , should I not go forward?

A new one might be released soon.

There’ll always be a new one in the pipeline :wink: I got the “old” 16" and I’m very happy with it.

2 Likes
1 Like

I removed it