2019 - 2020 New Macbook Pro 16"

I checked this first on a non-retina desktop display and then after on a retina tablet. First of all, it confirmed once again that webkit browsers make a right pigs ear of retina images on non-retina displays without the CSS code I usually add and Safari is generally worse than Chrome. For a more accurate comparison, try viewing that page on Firefox.

On the retina display the difference between 70 and 30 on the retina images appears very minimal, while the non retina images are soft at 70 and worse at 30.

EDIT: Rather worryingly, Safari actually seems to have worsened since I first tested this problem a couple years ago on non-retina displays and that CSS no longer works as well as before. I think their focus is on retina displays.

Thanks for doing that. Really interesting.

1 Like

I would totally agree. I can see some difference on the iPad screen, but it is minimal.

It can also somewhat depend on the file you start with. A heavy cropped photo has a adverse affect on the final quality.

Thank
Casey

On a less detailed image you could crush that compression down to crazy low levels before the difference became obvious and on an image heavy web page this could save an awful lot of page weight.

If you don’t have a retina display, you can still test this pretty accurately by viewing the image at 50% size when saving for web. Now pull down the quality slider to see where the image starts to degrade and then back off just a little.

They can’t run any more because they would have to use DDR4 RAM and implement a controller for it with implications for battery life. Intel have just released their latest laptop processors based on the Coffee Lake platform which means there could be a refresh later this year with the Core i9 coming in.

1 Like

I’ve just been reading that Apple plan on dropping Intel and building their own chips in house.

2 Likes

That probably won’t be until 2020 though. I’ve seen 2016 MacBook pros on offer for 1K off via B&H here in the States. In the UK Jigsaw often have good deals.

Casey, in late 2016, right after the new model came out, I was pondering a Mac notebook just like you are now. I actually ordered the 2016 model, but after waiting 1 month and having no idea when B&H Photo would deliver it, I cancelled my order. I’m glad I did because I purchased a 2015 model 15" (1TB SSD, 16GB RAM, dGPU – top end model). I still think it was the right decision in light of the fact that all Mac NoteBook since late 2016 have the following issues:

• Keyboard lacking in key-travel and feels like your fingers are pounding on a table.
  • Smaller battery which must power more features like the Touch Bar.
  • No 100VAC extension cord is included anymore. For that you must pay $19 extra.
  • Trackpad is so big you need imperfect anti-palm rejection software to keep the arrow cursor from jiggling badly when you use the laptop normally.
  • No SD card slot. That’s a dealbreaker for me. Dongles are stupid.
  • Not even 1 legacy USB-A port, which means you need dongles.
  • Glowing iconic Apple logo on back is gone. Not a deal-breaker, but it makes the machine look less incredible to external observers, if you care about that.
  • No MagSafe, which is really stupid. That was a major feature of previous MBP models.

Suffice it to say, I love my 2015 model and will continue to love it until Apple restores “pro” features to the MacBook “Pro” 15".

1 Like

I know what your talking about. I’ve not jumped to a new one just yet. The features you mentioned are things I use everyday. I don’t think many Mac users have been happy with some of those changes.

I’ve upgraded my 2011 with the 512 ssd drive and 16 gigs of ram a couple of years ago so it’s not like it’s really slow but I’d really like to have a Retina display.

I’m really shutter at having to have some type of dongle around all the time.

Thank You
Casey

1 Like

The big disappointment with my daughter’s new MBP, purchased about 6 months ago, was that the logic board died without warning after just three months and had to be replaced. I know this sort of thing can happen, but it was entirely unexpected on a computer that had only had a couple hours of light usage most days since new.

It was all fixed under warranty, but it did make me question the quality of components if something like that could happen so early on. Needless to say, we’ll be buying Apple care for the added two year warranty before the year is out.

Casey & Flashman,

I’m a big believer in sending feedback to Apple. I send them feedback several times a year in fact. And I’ve probably sent them at least 3 separate pieces of my mind regarding the lack of “pro” features in the MBP. As Flashman points out, there are quality issues to consider as well. Even on my 2015 model, for example, there are still issues with the antiglare coating coming off, as I describe in my YouTube video here:

So I would say it’s worth your while to send your thoughts to Apple here:

1 Like

That happened to me. Apple replaced the screen F.O.C. thank goodness.

Dare I ask, does anybody have any experience using the MacBook Air and if so how do they stack up for general usage, including Blocs?

A while back I set one up for a web client and it looked like a nice little machine, though I only had it here for a couple of hours to install an upgrade and sort out the basics. He mainly uses it for web browsing, emails, accounts and that sort of thing but says he is delighted.

I would encourage you to visit my YouTube video and then view the text description underneath and click the link to our Facebook group. There you will read experiences about people who had their displays replaced by Apple for free, but who later had to get subsequent screen replacements. Some people have had their screen replaced three or four or even five times only to find a problem return again. Apple is not replacing screens with new screens that are defect-free. They all have the same low-quality, easy-to-come-off antiglare coating, unfortunately.

I also like the smaller, more portable and easy to manage size of the 13" and while I do love the extra real estate of the 15", in the end, the smaller size won me over. But if you do go 13", I’d strongly recommend that you get a Retina screen. You’ll need the better resolution with the smaller screen. Good luck! Warm Regards, - Randy

I’m very familiar with this subject.

Casey, not sure where you are with your choice, but I saw this…

Just to redress the balance a little, I’m very pleased with my late-2016 MacBook Pro 15".

The display is excellent, I like the keyboard (this is, of course, a personal taste issue) and I like the big trackpad (I miss it if I use other machines). It is an elegant and quick machine to use (fast RAM and Flash storage plus a decent CPU) and the weight saving over my previous MBP is welcome. It is my only Mac, I just connect an external display when back at base, giving me lots of workspace.

USB-C is an issue and I think it’s disgraceful that Apple doesn’t bundle a USB-A adaptor. However, USB-C is the future and once you’ve bought an adaptor (I actually have two) it works in the present too. The TouchBar is a pointless gimmick (I originally assumed that Apple had a cunning plan to make it useful but, if they do, it hasn’t happened yet) but you can configure it to be almost as good as a row of physical keys; once you’ve done that, it’s not an issue either.

And Blocs? It works fine and is very responsive (!) but I suspect it’s quite an efficient app anyway.

Thanks Pauland, Cmd-F, a good read thanks for your input. After reading all the pros and cons I’m not sure I’m ready to purchase one just yet.

My 2011 with upgraded 16 gigs ram and 520 Samsung SSD drive runs everything I use. Maybe it’s just one of those wants not so much a need. The biggest thing for me is wanting the Retina display. The biggest cons is the lack of usb/sd card support.

I must say that my current MacBook Pro has lasted me longer and performed better than any computer I’ve owned. I use it for everything and it just keeps chugging along. I also just hate to stop using it when it still works relatively good.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me more food for thought

Casey

I completely understand. I think you have my old machine! I had the opportunity of a good second-hand buy and it’s been perfect. The main improvement has been the display.

1 Like