2019 - 2020 New Macbook Pro 16"

Mee too, I habe a 15“ late 2016 and can say te same as @Cmd-F. The first month with the keyboard was a little bit strange, but now I like it more than the older one. A college of me told me the same thing. I bought one Adapter with SD, USB-A, HDMI from Amazon, and have all in one Adapter what I need. For me no problem. I am also a big fan of the big Touchpad.

…another option is to use a second monitor, say a 21" screen, attached to your laptop Mac. This way you have a great workstation set up at home/office, and still have the convenience of the mobile laptop when not there. I found this solution really great using my 2017 13" MacBook Pro.

Coming back to this rather late, but I am shocked at how bad my daughter’s 2017 MBP has been. After the logic board went early on that was replaced and she carried on using it, but somehow it was always a bit glitchy and the keyboard could be weird.

A couple weeks ago she turned it on and there were black lines across the screen, so I contacted Apple and ended up running between service centres over the last couple of weeks, covering almost 200 miles in the process. We finally received a diagnostic report yesterday and apart from the screen there were issues with the keyboard, gpu, cpu, ram, microphone and the logic board!!

This is a computer that was basically used for watching Youtube a few hours per day and done no serious work over the last 11 months since purchased, but the technician described it as a very expensive paperweight. The big question is how Apple would have treated this if we had gone to them in the near future after the warranty expired? Nowadays you have to buy AppleCare within 90 days.

Apple have finally agreed to exchange it for a new one and I’m waiting to hear some news on that, but it has really made me wary of buying an Apple laptop as my next computer if this is any indication of how they are made nowadays. It goes without saying the computer was not damaged in any way.

@Flashman

I have a 2011 17" Mackbook Pro, that I used daily as a heavy workhorse for everything. I got the 3 year Apple care when I bought it and never had any issue, aside from a known screen glitch later on only during startup. Then in late 2016 I went to start it and nothing. I did a bunch of testing, cleaning, reseating everything but it was the actual motherboard.

Come to find out (not sure if its still true with newer models) but the motherboard solder begins to flow under prolonged intense heat/temp of the device. Over time the solder on the motherboard can lose contact in key places and renders it useless. You can even find techniques for putting your motherboard in the oven to fix it and reflow the solder.

Needless to say I took it to a Apple store (instead of using an oven). It was obviously past the Apple Care by years, but they offered to fix it for free. New motherboard, and everything that comes soldered on it. My battery was also pretty much shot and that too was replaced free.

It was fixed and returned in less than a week. Since everything else was new I put in new Ram and SSD and everything has been great since, it’s like a new computer. Although I don’t use it daily like I did, during the same period I picked up a used Mac Pro thats now my daily workhorse to keep the milage down on the laptop.

I hope your experience goes well.

In theory we are covered for 6 years under consumer law in Europe at least, however there are various exceptions to this and it is not to be taken for granted. When I asked Apple recently about the difference between this and AppleCare I was told that AppleCare also covers you for accidental damage. I mentioned that the laptop was covered under our house contents insurance (even outdoors) for accidents and he said AppleCare was unnecessary in that case.

A few days ago when I was at an authorised service centre I asked more about the protection under consumer law and he basically said that if you buy direct from Apple they will generally be reasonable about this and the problems usually come when you buy from another seller. It shouldn’t make any difference, but many sellers simply try to evade their legal responsibilities with “company policy”.

From my own experience, I have an iMac where the hard drive died after little more than a year and Apple showed no interest at all in helping at the time. I ended up going to a local repair guy who put in a new drive that ran too hot. After a week I was left with burn marks on the screen that have never gone away, though the computer sits in my office as a backup despite being 11 years old now and on the third hard drive. Heat buildup can be a real problem with the iMacs and probably for laptops as well. SSD should be a lot better in that regard.

My main computer is a mid 2010 Mac Pro, but I do worry about what I could replace it with when it eventually fails, since there is nothing in the current range of Apple computers that really appeals. It is still twice as fast as the 2017 i7 3.5Ghz in my daughter’s laptop and the Mac Pro can run at maximum CPU usage 24/7 without a problem.

I’m really shocked at how bad Apple is handling this matter. I’ve just spent 40 minutes on the phone trying to speak with customer care, because tech support have been so useless.

Apparently the largest company in the world can ship 100 million iPhones at the drop of a hat, but to organise a cardboard box and a courier to collect a broken machine before it can be replaced is a real technical challenge that takes 10 days to organise…

I’m looking forward to getting the MacBook Pro 14-inch and MacBook Pro 16-inch - Apple soon!
Are there any known issues with this?
Also how about the current version of Blocs working with the newest OS X release?

Hi @KBConcepts

MBP16 is a great laptop, but there are some issues I have been experiencing since the day one, which are still there even after a couple of major macOS updates.

Most of the issues are related to internal GPU and T2 chip. Nothing too serious, but it’s quite annoying sometimes when Touch Bar freezes or computer randomly shutdowns instead of going to sleep.

I always use the latest versions of Blocs, and 3.4.3 works wonderfully on the latest version of macOS.

Cheers,
Eldar

Good to hear from you my friend. :smile:
Did you get the 4GB or 8GB Graphic Card?
Also what is your RAM configuration?

I went for the higher-end stock model with 4GB of VRAM, and 16GB of RAM. I couldn’t justify spending $400 to get 32GB RAM, but I hear that might worth it. I think @PeteSharp was getting 32GB of RAM, maybe he can share his experience.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for letting me know.
Have you done any research on others who are having this experience?

Hey. Yeah, I got the entry level 16” but upgraded ram to 32GB. This was due to budget and finding the best match for the many hats I wear everyday.
I upgraded from a 2013 13” MacBook Pro and it was night and day lol.
I use The affinity suite of apps every day, usually have several browser windows open each with many tabs open. I do a lot of research in one of my jobs, so I run videos a lot as well. And I find the ram is perfect for me, I don’t have any issues with the CPU speed. (Not sure now how I survived with 8GB ram before).

I haven’t had the issues @Eldar mentioned. But I do keep accidentally knocking the touch bar buttons with my fingers, which has some interesting results. The touchID is amazing! Love it.

I actually work in two locations. At home I have a 27” Dell monitor which is great. At my remote office I have a 32” (I think it is). When I am connected to the large one, I will often hear the fans running and the USB-C hub I have gets very hot. But then it’s been very hot where I live at the moment, and I haven’t owned this MacBook Pro through a winter yet.

The keyboard is a winner.

If Apple is smart they will add that keyboard to the 13" as well.

1 Like

I would say they will. My guess is it will become a 14" display too. The screen is also fantastic.

They already said that this wouldn’t happen.

Really? I missed that. Who said that?

I believe it was Mr Cook himself in a interview.

1 Like

Is anyone having these issues with the New MacBook Pro 16"?

External display issues
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250942897?page=1

Popping Sounds

If you know any other problems let us know. Thank you

I have had my 16" MacBook Pro since early mid December, the popping sound is fixed.

And to add to my other post further up. If I plug into our 46" 4K TV, I have no heat issues with the Thunderbolt Hub or fans on the MacBook starting up. So weird?

Pete, how did you fix the sound problem?