3 x versions of Blocs?

Hi all,

We all have the full version of Blocs and also the Beta Blocs, so that is 2 versions…is it possible to have 3 ???..I 100% want the latest Blocs for my new projects and an older version with some features I use.

Rather than downloading a version for projects! I would love to keep 2 full versions and a Beta?

I would hope running them wouldn’t effect how they work
Is this possible to have no issues!!?

I believe the limit relates to the number of computers where Blocs is installed, not the number of versions on any single computer.

1 Like

You should be fine.

Users should even be able to have Blocs v2, v3 & v4, vBeta, along with numerous sub versions within each major version (2.X.x, 3.X.x , 4.X.x, Beta.X.x) running concurrently from what I recall from my experience. You just have to rename the Blocs.app respectively giving it a unique identifier such as adding the version #. I don’t recall any major issues as I believe each major version uses separate distinguished preference files, etc. Sub major versions X.x.x seem to work concurrently fine also. Milage may vary but that is what I recall experiencing. I’m sure @Norm can clarify any anomalies that he is aware of.

Registered licensed users can find major and sub versions of v2 / v3 / v4 / Beta as seen below:

One side note - If you ever use an uninstaller app just be mindful of the names and locations of what’s being removed as those apps may inadvertently pick up cross version related items to delete.

2 Likes

@AdieJAM everything @Blocs_User mentions is correct.

Only additional thing to consider, betas share the same extensions and fonts etc you have installed with the main release.

1 Like

Just an aside, but I wonder if anybody is still using Blocs v1?

1 Like

@Flashman, funny enough, I fired up Blocs 1 on Big Sur the other day.

2 Likes

Brilliant - thank you all.

I kept taking a version off to replace with another etc ! but did wonder if running 2 full versions on a mac would have an effect on projects…but all good !!!

Will run the current version, the Beta and the pre BS5 version.

Thanks everyone ! amazing.

The “Specials” Bric in B1 is awesome! And 100% no coding. :100: :face_with_monocle: :grin:

1 Like

Yeah Blocs 1 is free now, I removed all the license management in the latest version.

1 Like

Yeah. That’s why I took a look. Wow it’s changed a lot :grin:

1 Like

Yeah version 1 had some wild UX most notably right click to enter drop mode.

It’s come a long way since those early days.

2 Likes

I can’t seem to find the Github repo {kidding}. :joy:

Honestly at this point Blocs v1 almost feels like the initial Blocs Beta given how far and extreme the app and related materials have advanced in all aspects since that initial release, congrats. You should really have great satisfaction in what you have accomplished thus far Norm - though onward and upward. :–)

On a side note related to this thread topic – It seems the Blocs app versions might be a lot more closely tied together than I expressed above. I was testing Blocs v1 behind a firewall but in doing so that oddly would not allow me to update Blocs from 4.2.2 to the latest 4.3 update. Which surprised me that they would be interconnected in that manner. I removed Blocs v1 from being blocked and Blocs 4 was then able to update. So maybe the separation is not as isolated between versions as I thought and expressed above.

1 Like

Thanks and yes always onward and upward in this industry!