Best domain name registration service

@AngelArs - You are right indeed, I love the good service and reasonable prices by NameCheap.

I like Infomaniak (Swiss based), very solid & effective.
Also, It is easy to migrate or just to set different DNS.

I cannot recommend Kualo too highly.

They have really fast uploads - a fraction of the time it took with GoDaddy (spit) - are inexpensive, very friendly and they must have the fastest help desk EVER.

Literally, online enquiries are answered within minutes!

:uk: And they are BRITISH. :uk:

@Ian It’s true that Kualo are helpful. I’ve used them myself, though I later moved my hosting to Guru for improved page loading speed and less downtime. Guru is also a better option for reseller servers, which is important for me hosting sites for clients.

This topic is specifically about domain registration, rather than web hosting. The control panel for domains at Kualo is simple to manage, however they have become rather expensive and also lack useful options found with other domain registrars like DNSSEC for example.

If I only had one or two domains for personal use I’d see no problems in keeping it all with Kualo. Nearly all the registrars are fairly close on pricing for .co.uk domains, so I keep those with Guru for convenience. The bigger difference comes with .com and .net etc. Moving those to Namecheap is roughly halving my costs and over a few years that will really add up.

Once again I am forced to agree that GoDaddy really are horrendous.

I know this is an old topic, but I just wanted to flag one to avoid based on a recent client experience. Ionos seem to be downright useless. Their prices are very cheap, but as often happens in life, there is a hidden price when you need help. Ionos have support procedures that would have been more at home in 1972 than 2022.

I can recommend them :smile:

The client definitely made a mistake here, but they are still offline after 2 weeks now and it is hurting their business. Ionos seem to be incredibly slow in sorting this out.

www.namecheap.com works well, easy to deal with and support has been good when I needed them.

+1 for NameCheap

I use NameSilo.

The last time I registered a domain was with namecheap.
So + 1 for NameCheap

CloudFlare now offers domains again.
the .com domains go for as low as $8.57, it is so far the cheapest and until now, I am very happy with it.

Previously I went with name cheap, then after a year transferred them to CloudFlare.
Now that CF sells directly, I will just stick with that.

The points I liked about CloudFlare were the super cheap pricing and the control panel had a great setup, so security measures are automatically in place without needing to take any steps and it was all so simple.

The problem was that I couldn’t register .co.uk, while all domains registered with them had to pass though their setup and use CloudFlare nameservers. I would be interested if this has changed. According to this docs page everything still has to pass through them.

It might be that co.uk (and maybe others) are not supported, I do generally just run .com - but the domain does not need to run through their CDN.
You can turn off the “orange cloud” which then automatically also makes CloudFlare a fully GDPR compliant solution, which it is not when the orange cloud is on (and also not a secure one in terms of SSL, because the communication is decrypted if you route it through the orange cloud).

About name servers, yes if you buy from them I think you need to use their name servers (I never tried to add other name servers, as a matter of fact, it is exactly what I use CloudFlare for, so I never dug into that.)
But I never had any issue with their name servers per se, as long you disable the “speed up your site” crap, it is perfect (for me)

1 Like