Bloc 3: migrating site from Bloc2.6.5 - picture size mess

Hi,
I just upgraded to Bloc3 and migrated my website from the previous version.
All looked perfect, but when I put the updated site on the webserver, all pictures were original size and messed up the page layout.

Now the strange thing is that if you look at the site in Bloc3, the layout is fine. When you do a preview in browser in Bloc3 it’s fine. When I move it to my webserver it’s messed up.

I’ve cleared all my cache, tried multiple browsers / phones but the uploaded version still stays messed up.
Any advise on what I’m doing wrong ?

Many thanks
Geert

What happens is you run the export from blocs in a browser

Browser cache needs flushed, its still loading Bootstrap 3.

Read this.

Also I highly recommend folks don’t go directly from local testing to production, please first test on your server to make sure you don’t have any issue with your site especially with cache.

Server testing is really easy.

1. Export from Blocs,
  2. Rename folder test123 or whatever.
  3. Upload this full directory to root on your server.
  4. Navigate to mydomain.com/test123/

If the site loads ok at this location then anything that appears broken on the main url when it’s uploaded and replaced is most likely sticky cache in the browser.

1 Like

Great advise Norm. I think many of us are excited to use and migrate some of our Blocs 2 sites.
Just backing up a Blocs 2 site is sometimes just not enough. I’ve migrated two of my websites and it takes some work to get them working correctly. Lot’s of classes from version 2 and some need attention.

Uploading your Blocs 3 version site to its own directory on the server will allow users to make sure everything is right before going live. This will eliminate any errors or loading of assets so your clients will not experience any downtime.

I use Norms method when I’m designing any new site, we should treat any Blocs 3 new site or migration just as you would any new site.

Casey

1 Like

Yes clean cache works with Safari, Chrome look not affected by this issue. Also resolve carousel bug. Thank you Norm.

Richard

1 Like

No worries, this has caught out a lot of people and caused me a back log of tickets in support. So I’ve just added a new cache bust feature for export that will auto fix the issue for the masses.

Basically if forces the browser to load the latest version of important JS and CSS files from when you last exported. It can be switched off in export prefs and will be included in version 3.0.1 which will go live in an hour or so, once I finish testing it.

4 Likes

Thats sweet!
Casey

1 Like

And it’s live:

1 Like

Cache busting should hopefully save me a lot of tickets :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

CloudFlare and other alternatives, such as Lightspeed can throw a spanner in the works, so they often need to be cleared as well.

1 Like

Yeah its the bootstrap.css file that is causing all the problems, because it shares the same name with bootstrap 2. I think having cache flushing on key resources should be enabled by default for the masses.

@Norm Could you explain a little more about the cache busting feature? I know the intent which we really need. My question is does this make the user load the whole website every time a user visit your site. (I.E. auto page refresh on load). I was researching this over the weekend and was just wondering what effect it will have on loading pages.

Casey

Basically it adds a suffix to the header css and js files to tell the browser those resources recently changed. So style.css becomes style.css?v4567 the ?v4567 part makes the url unique and forces a reload, after first reload it’s cached again. If you export and upload at a later date, this suffix changes again ?v74346 or some other random string and again forces the browser to reload the latest version.

It basically ensures the latest version of your freshly uploaded code is loaded and cached. It should also reduce bug reports significantly, if it works as I think it will.

2 Likes

Thanks that makes a lot of sense. Let’s hope it works as stated. I uploaded a test and change a few pictures in a gallery and they show the change without refreshing my browser.

I know you’ve had a few problems but I think it’s not unusual for something like this update.

casey

Pictures are not effected unless they are Bloc backgrounds or applied via a class.

2 Likes

Great idea :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

@norm I just migrated another one of my Blocs 2 sites and followed the method we discussed. I didn’t have any errors uploading using the new “cache busting” feature. It went really good. Let’s hope this is another on of those Norms “Magical New Features”

casey

1 Like

Looks like it is to me :slight_smile:

2 Likes