Blocs 2.5 beta build 2

Blocs 2.5 beta build 2.

I’ve added support for dragging directories to the asset manager to add the contents, added support for dragging from photos app into asset manager and fixed a bunch of bugs (more fixes coming soon).

So here it is folks Blocs 2.5. This release includes lots of new features and fixes. The biggest one of course is the new Asset Manager. I’ve pulled together some notes that you need to read before you start using this versions as files saved in 2.5 will not load all new asset data in older versions of Blocs.

Important Read Me

Blocs 2.5 replaces the old Asset Manager (the only remaining part of the app from Blocs version 1) with a new and improved one. There are lots of benefits to the new Manager but there are also some important things you need to be aware of before you use this beta.

File Data Structure
The data structure of files saved in Blocs 2.5 is different to previous versions. Any changes made in Blocs 2.5 regarding project assets will not be reflected if you open the project up in a version before 2.5. So adding new assets, removing them and grouping them will have no effect when you open the file in a version of Blocs before 2.5. This is because Blocs 2.5 writes a new data structure to the Blocs file that previous versions of Blocs can’t read.

You will need to make backups of your work before you use Blocs 2.5 and only these backups as once a file is changed and saved within 2.5, the changes made to the asset data structure will not be loaded in older versions of the app.

What Happens to the old asset data structure?
That will remain within the file so if you do go back to an older version of Blocs your original data structure will still exist, but it wont include any changes you may have made to it within 2.5.

Groups
One of the main new features in the new Asset Manager is the grouping function. You can create your own groups and all assets can be added to multiple groups, including the stock images. Please note, at this time groups cannot be nested within other groups, grouping is one level only.

Basic Notes

Select All - Hold command when clicking the select button to select all assets within a group.

Pattern Group - Any image asset added to the pattern group will automatically have its style value set to repeat when applied to a bloc background.

Tile Background Colour - If you add an image that has a transparent background and requires a light background colour. This can be set by right clicking the asset tile and selecting a light or dark background colour.

Ok so you know you need to use project backups with 2.5 and new Asset Manager data wont be read by the old the Asset Manager :sunglasses:

Oh and don’t forget to hard reload the beta page incase your cache blocks it.

Download Blocs 2.5

Dev API
For those of you who are interested in the developer API, its coming Im just finishing the Docs and basic resources to make it easier to get started.

4 Likes

Norm, the pdf asset is working just fine. Wow is that nice… my personal #1 request, with options…

Thank You! Thank You!
Casey

1 Like

No worries, sorry it took so long, but having the new Asset Manager was essential for this interaction to work correctly.

1 Like

Do not upload photos

How did you add the assets? Drag them in, add via plus button or were they already part of a 2.4 project?

add via plus, it`s new project, I tried to add photos from project folder, desktop, resized files and formats, and nothing. If I drag&drop photo to img bloc, the photo appears in the block, but it does not appears in asset manager (only name). There are also no social network icons

Are you running Blocs from your applications directory?

yes, all default, clean installation
(Sierra 10.12.6)

Are any icons loading in the icon manager?

oh, sorry, I thought that the search in Icon Font Manager is looking in all the folders, but now I see that I need to select a section

same problem. I follow

Icon Font Manager - that sounds interesting. Where is that in Blocs 2.5b ?

I think that “kind of” existed since Blocs version 1.5, but certainly since Blocs version 2.0.0, with various improvements / updates since then as well.

Here is the documentation page, it corresponds with the “Icon Bric” : https://help.blocsapp.com/bric-icons/

1 Like

I never knew that. What a great feature.

1 Like