Blocs 2.5 Beta Build 6

Blocs 2.5 beta build 6.

Build 6 introduces the Blocs developer API and the developer Bric Builder tool as well as fixing and improving a bunch of stuff. This build also comes with 3 new custom Brics for you to install and try out, these use the Blocs API which is in Alpha so expect potential glitches when using these Brics.

Developers
Rather than take over this beta thread with chat about developer stuff, I created another thread here to talk shop with anyone wanting to build custom Brics for Blocs.

New In This Build - Highlights

• Bric Builder Tool is now available.

• Dev API enabled (Alpha).

• More fixes and improvents.

So here it is folks Blocs 2.5. This release includes lots of new features and fixes. The biggest one of course is the new Asset Manager. I’ve pulled together some notes that you need to read before you start using this versions as files saved in 2.5 will not load all new asset data in older versions of Blocs.

Important Read Me

Blocs 2.5 replaces the old Asset Manager (the only remaining part of the app from Blocs version 1) with a new and improved one. There are lots of benefits to the new Manager but there are also some important things you need to be aware of before you use this beta.

File Data Structure
The data structure of files saved in Blocs 2.5 is different to previous versions. Any changes made in Blocs 2.5 regarding project assets will not be reflected if you open the project up in a version before 2.5. So adding new assets, removing them and grouping them will have no effect when you open the file in a version of Blocs before 2.5. This is because Blocs 2.5 writes a new data structure to the Blocs file that previous versions of Blocs can’t read.

You will need to make backups of your work before you use Blocs 2.5 and only these backups as once a file is changed and saved within 2.5, the changes made to the asset data structure will not be loaded in older versions of the app.

What Happens to the old asset data structure?
That will remain within the file so if you do go back to an older version of Blocs your original data structure will still exist, but it wont include any changes you may have made to it within 2.5.

Groups
One of the main new features in the new Asset Manager is the grouping function. You can create your own groups and all assets can be added to multiple groups, including the stock images. Please note, at this time groups cannot be nested within other groups, grouping is one level only.

Basic Notes

Select All - Hold command when clicking the select button to select all assets within a group.

Pattern Group - Any image asset added to the pattern group will automatically have its style value set to repeat when applied to a bloc background.

Tile Background Colour - If you add an image that has a transparent background and requires a light background colour. This can be set by right clicking the asset tile and selecting a light or dark background colour.

Smart Search
Start search query with @ followed by group name to show group contents. After the group name add : then search term to search that group for search term, for example @photos:mountains will show all mountain images in the photos group. You can also use @hosted to show all hosted assets.

Ok so you know you need to use project backups with 2.5 and new Asset Manager data wont be read by the old the Asset Manager :sunglasses:

Oh and don’t forget to hard reload the beta page incase your cache blocks it.

Download Blocs 2.5

4 Likes

I’m first. I’ve felt like a stalker for the last few hours waiting for this to appear.

1 Like

With the custom brics do they have to be stored in a specific location on the same drive or are they copied across?

When installed they are stored with the rest of the Blocs application support data.

OK thanks, I’m storing them as backups in the documents folder. As a quick tip to others you have to restart Blocs before they become available.

Bug 1) If I press the yellow button to make Blocs collapse into the dock nothing happens in b6.

1 Like

With the Masonry bric something seems wrong. The plus sign to enlarge images is randomly placed on the images in awkward positions and when I click on them in preview nothing happens. This is using the images that came with the bric.

Yes they are currently broken in app and require a little more tweaking. When exported or preview in browser they work fine.

Just checked that in Safari and it works there, but I found that landscape images have arrows to advance, whereas portrait style images do not, or at least they are invisible as white arrows on a white background.

They do, they are just white so you cant see them. The light box needs a little tweaking as this bric taps into the core light box.

I’m sure it will be refined but it’s a nice addition and quite stylish as a way of showing images.

1 Like

Oh yes its defiantly not the finished item, its more an example of what folks will be able to create, the fact it doesn’t work 100% yet is down to the API being a work in progress. When the API is more stable these Brics will be auto installed with Blocs.

Pretty cool, I’ve been playing with adding images with the same dimensions. This is going to change how we use Blocs. I wish I had more knowledge to make my own. Maybe in time…I couldn’t make classes when I started either…never to old to learn…

Thanks
Casey

4 Likes

The minimise button does not work any more for me. I also already restarted my Macbook. Has anyone else the same problem?

I reported it above earlier today.

Ahh yes, overlooked this, thank you.

What version of MacOS are you running?

Hi Sierra here.

1 Like

Me too, High Sierra

1 Like