Blocs 4.1 New Features

No, what I am suggesting is better than what you want. Create a draft project that already has your base pages, frequently used custom classes, contact form with server settings, copyright information, cookies page, 404 error page, commonly used brics, page settings, font sizes etc etc.

This will evolve and improve over time but it will save you many hours and lead to far fewer set up errors. The settings and pages are automatically in place just by opening the project file.

3 Likes

sounds like a great idea Flashman. I’m all for it.

1 Like

I understand, but as a designer I never use the same fonts, styles and settings for every project. I first design from scratch the interface and once its ok I move to blocs.
I think I will have to make an empty file just to open and skip those initial setups.

So tailor it to what you need. I design every site from scratch as well, starting with blank white pages, but there are certain things that are common in nearly all projects like needing a copyright page or a contact form, so why add those manually every time?

Then there are brics like @PeteSharp has produced, such as flexy foot that ensure there are no floating footer space issues on pages with minimal content. That can be placed in the global footer to solve a technical problem automatically without needing to manually add it every time.

This isn’t about curbing creativity. It’s about working efficiently, so that you can focus on the creativity.

3 Likes

@Norm is not possible to add the !important property to the custom class?

1 Like

No but I have a plan for that. It’s going to take a little extra engineering so I’m thinking next year maybe to get that in.

6 Likes

it would be awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow … why just shuffle this under the door? This is awesome!

The awesome list is pretty long with this release.

3 Likes

I agree - the changes in version is huge…and its going to take me a long time to get my head around all the changes !! but it will be second nature soon.

I am excited to bring WP into my Blocs projects at some point…but at the moment with Blocs 4 and Volt and all the great brics and videos everyone is sharing…I am really excited.

1 Like

I totally agree with what you’re saying. There are so many great new features that will take some time to really learn. I think back to the first version of Blocs and you just would have a hard time believing just how far Blocs have come.

Not only in added features but how @Norm envisions what a user would like in terms of designing on the canvas. It seems like there are some problems with the release of 4 but even with beta testers you just can’t predict everything. With all of the improvements and additions it a very stable release.

It’s just new and with each version, there is always a learning curve.

Casey

4 Likes

@Norm The payments is great. Could you also add Alipay and Wechat Pay please. This is like the MUST have in Asia.

Hey! also the hamburger menu settings like change the color etc…! Come on :sweat_smile: this is an old request from the community ! :yum:

2 Likes

A payment option using Mollie would be fantastic!!

2 Likes

I used Ecwid recently on a WP site. It’s very slick, fairly easy to set up and integrates with a whole bunch of payment processors like PayPal and Stripe etc.

I like to see more complex form brics. like logical forms, color swatch, upload file function.

1 Like

I really would love to have the possibility to find out, on which objects a class (custom class) is used on. If you open a project after a while… and wanna make a change on 1 object only, it would be great to ensure the class isn’t applied to another object you don’t wanna change.
You guys understand what I mean?! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Easy solution for that. Locate the custom class, duplicate it and give it a new name. Now apply that renamed class with any adjustments to just the one item without affecting the others.

1 Like

What about a way to lock Blocs, so you can’t accidentally add or remove Brics once that section is computer.

LOL. As always, I am in the MINORITY. But trust me, “Prevent layout items from being exported” is more useful than most of you think!

Consider one example. You have a contact page and 5 banner notifications for different holidays of the year. You keep all disabled until a week before your holiday. You enable only one. But even when all are disabled, all are in fact written to the HTML file!! That’s right, even when you hide content across ALL BREAKPOINTS, Blocs still writes that content to your HTML file, not only bloating the page code, but also ensuring that anyone reading through your HTML file code will see it!

I think a lot of Blocs users don’t realize this. If they did, that new feature would have more than the current 2 votes.

My second vote would be for “Remove all unused product assets.” This is so important, especially when you want to make a cut-down 1 page version of your site for sharing on this forum. You don’t want 30MB of graphics to be exported with that 1 page document! So, yeah, that is very important too.

6 Likes

I am aware of Ecwid and it works fantastic… Only, you have to pay for it monthly. And I notice that such a subscription holds many people back. It would be nice if something like that could be made in Blocs; so a shop + cart + payment system.