Blocs 4.2 is Here šŸ„³

@Norm thanks for latest version mate, itā€™s awesome!

Iā€™ve found migrating my sites to BS5 to be very smooth and problem free so far. The options to combine JS & CSS files in addition to removing jQuery has offered a significant and welcome speed boost.

Thanks for your hard work!!

Hey @Norm,

On migrating a site, I discovered there could be some issues with media queries for > 1200px, since we donā€™t set any breakpoints for that in Blocs.

eg. .display-5 (a bootstrap class) overrides my font size on larger screens, breaking the design.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.28.27 PM

Maybe we need an XL breakpoint? (I know thats been brought up before). Or even XXL. Since they are offical breakpoints for BS5.

Surely I should be able to use official Bootstrap classes without then having to hand code a media query.

1 Like

Itā€™s worth noting that you would need to use the display-5 class in order to notice this issue, which Blocs doesnā€™t use (last i checked).

But yes a way to work on the larger breakpoints is still something that may come.

These are the reasons I havenā€™t added the functionality yet.
ā€¢ More work for you the designers to do.
ā€¢ A large portion of Blocs users work on screens that are not even big enough to view them (laptops).
ā€¢ An even larger portion of web traffic never see these breakpoints (mobile first).

But I appreciate they are part of the framework and are valid, as why bother to include them.

:nerd_face: :thinking:

1 Like

It does if you consider its a Bootstrap class :sunglasses:

And I use Bootstrap classes a lot (I might be a minority there though).

All good points though and I understand the reasoning. I notice it on my 16" MacBook Pro though.

1 Like

Might be too late for the next beta and perhaps one for 4.3ā€¦

I love it when clients express frustration that a site isnā€™t ready and blame me, despite not having sent content that was requested months ago. Could we have an option in Blocs that somehow takes care of it all? Maybe a tick box option in the side panel under a ā€œcreates allā€ section. This could be reserved as a plus feature and I think it would be really popular.

BTW @PeteSharp came up with the sidebar option. I figured it would have to go in project settings to allow for WordPress themes as well.

3 Likes

Next to the option to enable >1200px breakpoints :rofl::rofl::rofl::partying_face:

I have something in the pipeline :grin:

6 Likes

@Norm
What app was used to created that video? I really like the special effects!

ā€“James

1 Like

We use After Effects to add all the nice effects.

3 Likes