Blocs 5.0.3 Beta Build 1

Here is beta build 1 of Blocs 5.0.3. It’s a bit of a mixed bag of improvements and refinements, some CSS Grid fixes along with better publishing error handling and another optimization for lighthouse speed scores.

More improvements coming in build 2 on Friday.

Anyway, happy testing!

Don’t forget to hard-reload the page to clear cache :nerd_face:

Download Blocs 5.0.3 - Beta Build 1

6 Likes

Just confirming I no longer need to enable screen recording for every newly installed version of Blocs. It just says Blocs-5.0 in system preferences and works automatically across betas or stable builds.

2 Likes

Loving these optimizations. I guess now, I have to do my part in improving what’s left.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 11.47.34 AM

1 Like

Images no longer responsive? I have an image on my page, which has 3 variants:

@1x = 133 x 177
@2x and 3x image = 3024 x 4032.

Preview and browser display the correct @x, but the size is locked and not responsive, so a high resolution image is stuck displaying at 133 x 177. Never had an issue before, tried it on blocs 4 and
works as it should or has done previously.

I edited the only custom class on the image, which was deleting the max width from 75% on both Blocs 4.5.4 and Blocs 5.0.3 Beta 1, results below, both taken from preview

Blocs 4.5.4

Blocs 5.0.3

How’s your mobile score?

Are these images very big?

You might need to adjust the class to force it to scale up. Blocs now adds width and height attributes to images as it’s recommended by Google for page load speed.

1 Like

Needs a lot more attention.

These images are:

@1x = 35 x 82
@3x = 708 x 1634

Any idea how to scale up? I’ve tried playing around with the custom class dimension controls but not had any luck yet.

Thanks

Try setting the min-width to 100% on a class applied to an image.

1 Like

86 is actually not a bad score for mobile.

That seems to work! Will have a play around with that cheers :clap:

‘Eliminate render-blocking resources’ is the first flag. I’m guessing it’s because I have a few scripts in the head section?

On a side note, on an M1 Mac 8GB and Blocs has used around 30-40GB of swap in the last hour or so. I have been thinking that opening projects, and using the built-in preview and browser has been quite sluggish. Not sure if this is normal, I guess it depends on the project ultimately?

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 21.41.06

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 21.40.36

Is it possible to design mobile first? That would likely help mobile but might hurt desktop.

Nice graph, what app did you use to bring that up?

iStat Menu’s that is

Hey @AdieJAM and @Brocky120. As I mentioned in previous posts, Blocs now forces the image width and height attributes on image tags to help with Google Lighthouse speed scores. However, as you both mentioned, there are occasions when you might require the images to scale up as well as down.

In build 2 of Blocs 5.0.3 there is a new scale option that can be easily applied to an image that will give it that behaviour.

This feature will be available in tomorrows beta :beers:

4 Likes

Nice one norm thanks, I assume this has to be done image by image?

Im afraid it does, you can obviously always write a class and do it manually if you have lots of images to consider.

I am wondering how this will work with a gallery bric and also on the best procedure with a CMS like Volt for adding images. @Jannis