Blocs 5.1 - Beta Build 5

Hey everyone, here is the 5th beta of Blocs V5.1. This build has a bunch of cool new things to try out.

Faster Extension Installs
The Installation of multiple Blocs extensions (.bex files) is now multi-threaded for faster performance. I’ve also added a progress bar, hopefully less spinning beachball!)

SMTP Form Posting Support
As many have probably seen, the legend that is @Jerry took time away from his cocktails under the coconut tree last Sunday and taught us all how to add SMTP form posting to forms in Blocs websites. There was a discussion regarding bringing this into Blocs, well it’s here :sunglasses:

Select a form and you’ll find a new Post Type control, from here you can add your own SMTP mail server credentials and assign them to a form. On export Blocs will handle the implementation within the sites code.

:warning::warning: But please keep in mind, this feature does not just work, your server needs to support it. :warning::warning:

I’ve also updated and improved the classic form posting scripts that use the php mail() function for improved stability and better error handling.

If you have issues with your forms, you can now inspect in the browser and more detailed errors are logged in the console.

Hey Blocs
Voice control has been added to Blocs, obviously this is disabled by default, you turn it on if you want to use. When you enable it, MacOS will seek various permissions for Blocs, it’s all fairly straight forward. It’s worth noting we don’t collect any audio data and no audio data leaves your Mac, this feature uses your Macs built in voice recognition accessibility engine.

API Key
The AI Assistant no longer requires an API Key to use in its basic form. However, it can be expanded to use ChatGPT, so you will need to sign up and get an API key if you want to expand it.

Anyway have a great weekend! :beers:

Download Blocs 5.1 Beta 5

11 Likes

Sweetness!

Thanks @Norm - when using SMTP, is it possible for a line break for each input, when you do standard post type it structures it like this:

• Name:
  • Email:
  • Mobile:
Where as when you use SMTP its like this:

• Name: Email: Mobile: Location:

Not sure if this is something you could change or if its server end.

1 Like

Yeah that’s easily fixed. SMTP posting working for you then?

This is the first Blocs feature I created I can’t actually run on my server (SMTP posting).

The company we use to host recently sold to GoDaddy :sweat_smile: :weary:

1 Like

Hi Norm,

I posted earlier about a 3rd party option where hosts won’t allow - SMTP2Go - free for up to 1000 mails per months - that works for for me :slight_smile:

Ray

Also Norm,

Unlikely I’m guessing, but is it possible to set up similar to :slight_smile:

Hello $name,

Thanks for enquiring about $product1 …

You get the gist - this is likely something that is an add on - the features I am looking for is similar to what Ive used with RW - FormLoom and FormSnap from Yabdab.

Ray

Nice one! Yes working here, no issues so far.

GoDaddy… oh dear lol :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

When do you sleep Norm… you’re have put a tremendous amount of work in this Beta.
[Blocs 5.1.0 (b5) Blocs Website Builder - Beta]

I don’t know if you all read what Norm writes such as:
New in this build
New Features
Fixes
when you do you will see why I wrote this post.

Even though I cannot use it on my project, it sure looks like the next release is going to have lots of cool features.

3 Likes

Amazing @Norm ! You deserve a beer or two this weekend!
Great update!

1 Like

It seems that enabling voice control also adds numbers to menus system wide, which is a bit of a nuisance.

Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 11.10.54

1 Like

Interesting, this is an accessibility feature, it could be that when Blocs requests permission it’s automatically adding all the accessibility features. I’ll check that.

This is happening system wide if voice control is enabled. I am not sure this is through Blocs as such, but you may be able to discover something.

You staying with them !!?

I have had nothing but bad things with clients with GoDaddy - but heard of some good things!..I think…lol

1 Like

No, I don’t mind them for domain names but I’ll be moving hosts next year.

1 Like

I am getting layout issues with the canvas selection boxes. Happening in full screen and window. Seems to come and go. Even after a restart.

It happens with any element. It is always shifted to the left of the element.

I had that issue in version 4 too. Disabled horizontal scrolling solved it.

Yes, it has appeared before.

Hi Norm:

Any idea when the final 5.1 version will be released?

Thanks

Rich the Weather Guy

I’m afraid we don’t. Most likely June.

Thanks Norm…too bad. I was waiting for the official 5.1 update so I could use Eldar’s minimalist brics.
Yeah, I know, people are using the beta for that, but with the past issues I have had, I am a bit gun-shy.

Rich the Weather Guy

1 Like