Blocs becomes more and more unstable

Once in a while again I used blocs.

Here’s my experience (all up to date, on a MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 running 13.1 (22C65))

1. Setup new project
  2. Start adding a 2 column header
  3. Add an image to the left
  4. Add a text field input (form) to the right
  5. Move the text field input out of its wrapper DIV it comes with

App crashes.

Repeat above steps 1 to 5, this time in step 5 instead of move, delete the form field again after insert.

App crashes

Get angry because every time, all work lost.
Try to find a setting to alter the AUTOSAVE interval, can find only the BACKUP interval setting, sets it to 3 minutes instead of 30.

App Crashes.

:person_shrugging:
I don’t know, but when I bought Blocs back in time, it worked, and even if it added header and footer code to each WordPress theme template instead of creating actual headers and footers, that back then was basically the only to complain.
Now, apart of creating a WP Theme completely wrongly, it also crashes on me all 2 minutes.

I am a little disappointed, to be blunt.

2 Likes

Blocs 5.0.5?

I understand the frustration when working on stuff especially when it’s time critical. Time is $$.

I’ve noticed issues (css not working and crashes) I didn’t get during the beta. Which is strange as the last beta was the exact same release.

Make sure to send Norm crash reports if you can so he isolate the cause. The more of us doing that, and more importantly willing to do it during the beta can only mean a more stable app. Especially when we want new features added.

2 Likes

There’s definitely an Intel issue here. I used Blocs yesterday for a couple of hours on my M1 and had no major issues (except for the still-known). In the afternoon I moved to my :coconut::palm_tree: with my Intel to continue on the same project and it crashed 3 times within 30 minutes. As simple as removing a .js attachment made Blocs crash.

@Norm. Crash reports here:
Crash_Reports_050223.zip (3.1 KB)

2 Likes

It’s going to be intel for a good while more, here.

Money to buy a new Mac just because of the chip isn’t around (and most likely, a number of apps wouldn’t even work with it)

But I see that I am not alone. This is unfortunate. Will add crash reports to this thread as it happens again.

Thanks

PS:
Yes, Blocs v5

2 Likes

@smileBeda yeah I’m running a similar MacBook.

I’m keen to get the new M2 Mini, but then I take my Mac with me when I’m away. And if a client has something urgent I can solve it. My 16” MacBook would be funding the mini :grin:

I forked out just over 4 grand (with pro Apps) for my Intel MacBook Pro 16-Inch “Core i9”, Radeon Pro 5600M with 8 GB & 32 GB memory. Now I have to upgrade!
What a shame on Apple for it’s proprietary dung. I heard and read of numerous faithful users spew out major rightful complaints.

To be fair KB. I also brought the same MacBook as you. (I upgraded ram to 32 but left the i7 CPU as in NZ prices are much higher). Everyone knew Apple Silicon was around the corner. I needed to replace my 2013 MacBook at the time, so did buy. I was wanting to wait until the 2nd or 3rd Gen AS anyway. But it was an informed purchase on my part and any depreciation has paid for itself.

Your Mac isn’t going to stop working.

Hello to all

I’m completely redoing my website with Blocs 5 on a MacBook Pro 13" M2 and I have no crashing problem.

To be continued…

1 Like

report.zip (9.1 KB)
crashed and lost all work the 1hundredst time now.

Hopefully someone reads, understands and fixes these issues :frowning:

A bit off topic, but is it just me or does Right Click on Images in the Asset Manager not bring up any menu’s to edit etc? It very very hit and miss…

The options you get depends on how the images are added / linked. If they are embedded you get options to rename for example.

1 Like

That will be why, thanks!

And now it suddenly deleted the entire header and footer.

Gosh. What a waste of time.
And since it is forbidden to have to blocs windows opens, or dare you copy from a open project into another project, you cannot even re-cover it from a early backup.

Total real waste of time, this time.

Which language are you running Blocs in?

The default (for the project) and my Mac runs on English (so I would assume that is default too)

PS as it might help anyone having the same heartache:
I salvaged the lost header by:

• pulling up the last backup with it present (it is about an hour old, luckily I have set the frequency to 3m)
  • Adding this bloc to the library
  • then close the backup, open the working file
  • insert the lost header now present in the bloc library

After all of the issues I had moving from Blocs 4 to Blocs 5, version 5.05 seems pretty stable on my Intel iMac, Core i9, and no issues on my M2 MacBook Air.

I admit that I tense up with each update nowadays. I would respectfully suggest to Norm and team that they focus on stability before adding new features.
If the app isn’t stable, no one will want to use it and join this great community.

Rich the Weather Guy

2 Likes

You took the words etc …

Thanks Pete, I appreciate your response. Like you, I think I based my purchase on an informed decision. The timing was good at the time. Regardless of what I wrote, I really to like my Mac. Since I do not do web design/development for a living I don’t see any upgrade to an M2. From what I can tell Mac get away with a dedicated graphics card. :frowning: I just hope that all the Fixes, Patches and Upgrades doesn’t put me in a position to go to an updated Mac.

My first Mac, which still works, was a 2009 MacBook Pro - 2GHz, 15.4 in. Screen, 100G HD, 2G RAM. Through this absolute genius, DosDude, I was able to install macOS High Sierra on it.