Blocs for Mac V5.2.0 Beta Build 1 🎉

Hey @Norm

Would it be possible to get a custom bric target attribute for a class that the user can add to custom children, sim. to
custom-bric-id-target="true"

Thanks, Bill

@Norm

Just thought of something else: When a custom bric is updated it’s not picking up any new controls or the related files. Right now you either have to right-click on everything and reset or build from scratch - which is becoming quite time-consuming.

Is there a way on updating a bric, the controls/related files could be updated but keep whatever settings are already set?

Thanks, Bill

Considering we set everything via attributes, I have started adding code that checks for attributes not existing and then updating the HTML based on out of the box defaults for new options when adding something new after launch. Works for me. It’s usually minor on updates.

3 Likes

You can make some changes using .blocs-round-btn in the class editor.

CleanShot 2023-10-30 at 13.45.39@2x

You could over-ride the on-hover for a more customised design. The browser inspector will give you all you need.

.blocs-horizontal-scroll-container:hover .blocs-round-btn

Changing the SVG will require javascript to switch out the SVG markup. Unless Norm adds some additional button styles. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That would be good if @Norm could do that ! :+1:

I have to ask, why it is still so frequently difficult to select a single class?

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 19.49.47

2 Likes

Just an idea. Would it be better if the classes stacked rather than wrapped?

I get that same highlighting issue from time to time.

1 Like

It’s a fiddly bit of custom UI and Apple don’t offer anything that could replace it out the box.

I assume you want to highlight a particular class for selection to copy and paste?

I’d considered this, even moving them into a table but a new line for each class is a poor use of space.

Well Flashman is showing 3 classes taking up 3 lines :man_shrugging: :grin: (looks like more there too).

The container could remain similar size. I don’t know what you’re working with on an OS level though. So yeah :grin:

Yes that is the reason, so I can select a single class to copy paste it to another object, however this has been a frequent frustration right through every version of Blocs. The classes window is tricky to work with in various scenarios and that is bewildering when it is the central location for accessing practically every customisable aspect of Blocs.

1 Like

Aside from the selection issue, what other things do you find frustrating about this part of the UI?

For starters the window itself is far too contained with no option to change the dimensions. It is crying out for an option to extend both the width and height of that window, so it is easier to read and manage individual classes. If that is not possible, how about a larger pop up classes window, so there is space to breath.

I know we have the Classes text with the downward arrow that will allow a user to select a class, however that is far too subtle and I’d wager most Blocs users don’t even know that feature exists. Leaving that aside, most users will still want to work more visually, selecting the visible classes in the window.

Sometimes I might have two classes that are similarly named and find it impossible to identify the one I want because the text is cropped; again due to the small window. Yes we can hover over the top and wait for tooltips, but in a world of AI that feels very antiquated. The small vertical scroll bar really doesn’t cut it either.

If a class is selected and I scroll up, then click to select another class, the clicked on class opens, however the previously selected class is still highlighted, as though it is active. In the parlance of my millennial daughter, it’s all a bit random.

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 22.07.31

At times when it is not possible to select a single class, it also becomes impossible to determine which class will open if clicking on one, or if I do end up selecting all three to copy it will paste all three to another window.

I am sure there are other things that will come to mind but the classes window hasn’t changed significantly in 5+ years and needs a major overhaul.

2 Likes

Thanks some interesting points here. Would you consider adding (text input) and removing classes reliable in class token field?

Also do you ever use auto complete rather than copy and paste when adding already existing class items?

There is also a random bug I see periodically where I copy a class and when I go to paste on another item it applies something completely unrelated with no rhyme or reason. When this happens I can try 10 times, only to find a different class pasted each time. Those are the occasions I generally go for a cup of tea and just hope it will sort itself out the next day.

Not really. Sometimes they can be downright difficult to even select.

Yes I do use autocomplete at times or even frequently, however sometimes I might want to apply a class to multiple items on a page or even several pages, in which case cmd+v is a lot faster.

1 Like

I’m not sure I follow. To add and remove classes why would you need to select them? Do you mean it becomes difficult to select into the empty space in the class token field in order to type in?

Yes the empty space can be tricky to navigate. Also I can start typing to create a class, but then the list of options opens and all my classes in the window fly to the top where they cannot be seen.

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 22.50.35

I would also like to scroll up or down to view classes with the keyboard arrow keys, rather than having to use the scroll bar. A larger window and greater separation between classes would solve an awful lot of problems though.

The classes window has consistently been the most tricky part of Blocs to navigate and work with and it really needs to be the most perfect part of the app.

I can do that with the keys, and also scroll wheel on my mouse. Both work for me.

I think a visual clue for pseudo elements being assigned to a class would be good.

Along similar lines, is other apps will often give you the option of forcing a state. Which makes sense for a visual builder.

1 Like