Browser level lazy loading

Coming with Chrome 76 and likely to be adopted by others; lazy loading will be enabled at a browser level. Should there be a change in the way this is implemented in Blocs? @Norm

1 Like

This question never received an answer. I’m quite curious what that answer is!

I would imagine It will be some time before it becomes normal on a cross browser level.

(Cough)edge(cough) :joy:

But neat to be able to mange it with Data Attributes. Some Lazy Load code handles that way now, you can tell it to not do certain elements by using a DA.

1 Like

I have switched off lazy loading on every site recently after finding strange glitches like extended waits of several seconds before some images appear on scroll or jumpy page loads that are clearly improved when disabled. I even filed a bug report.

It feels like there is a conflict of some sort and this first became noticeable on sites around November or December I think. This may well be related to browser changes. I haven’t tried applying it on individual images as yet and that might be worth a go.

1 Like

I never use Lazy Loading on my Blocs websites. Don’t remember when was the last time it was enabled. It always seemed to me that it causes more problems than solving them.

1 Like

In theory it should be helpful and Google obviously likes it or they wouldn’t have enabled it by default. I think there is a conflict there now when enabled in Blocs. Very strangely I even found that FTP updates were significantly slower when lazy load was enabled in Blocs causing long delays, as though the FTP client was struggling more.

+1 for never using lazy load either lol.

2 Likes

Initially it did seem to result in an impression of faster loading pages, however I found it was having a negative impact on search ranking, because Google and sitemap generators like Scrutiny were failing to index images. That has now improved, however the other problems have made it a negative for performance in recent experience.

+11111111 for NO Lazy Load

2 Likes