Can I have a Wordpress post loop on my home page with two different size?

Hey all, I’m new to using Blocs.
I’m creating a Wordpress template (very simple) and I have my post loop.

What I want is to have the top two posts larger than the bottom two posts. Is this possible? See my screenshot…, is this something I can do in Blocs itself? or will I have to to manually edit the theme PHP file?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hi @captain_tom,

Welcome to Blocs, I moved your post to the WP Dev category, one of our WP Gurus should be able to help you out here.

@brechtryckaert ?

Thanks.

I believe another name for what I’m trying todo is have a larger “featured” post at the top and smaller posts below…

At this point there’s no way to add two separate wp content blocs that allow us to specify the output of each content bloc. So adding two of those would simple add duplicate output to your page, basically two times the same output.

I’ve actually just recently made some suggestions to @norm to improve the loop output (for example allowing to select a custom post type). It seems this might be a great addition to those suggestions.

You can already select custom post types in the loop options. Once they are added they will show up in the loop options.

1 Like

It would be over kill to have 2 separate loops for this. I would suggest maybe using CSS to target the first 2 columns in the loop and adjust them.

This could be done with a little JS, maybe with Classes directly if you are familiar with sub classing bootstrap or directly in the php loop code.

Hi @Norm, thanks for clarifying this. I’ve been missing this option to all this time. Could you give me any pointers on how to make this work? Because currently, whilst having a custom post type “Apple”, I cannot seem to select it for output in the wp-content bric:

Im not sure what your goal is but the WP Content Bric will add the following snippet to the page:

<?php the_content(); ?>

This should ideally be used on the single (or apples) post page template to load the content for the post. Using it outside of a loop will default to the first standard post of on the Wordpress site.

If your intention is to load custom post data onto a page outside of the dedicated post page, then you would need to pull it in with a post loop.

You do this by selecting the column and setting the loop type.

Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 09.19.06

If I place the WP Content Bric inside the apple post loop column, it will now work and populate with the content from the apple post.

Norm, thanks for clarifying. It seems I had understood part of the flow all wrong.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

No problem at all. We are still working on getting all of the docs online and we also have more advanced videos in the works regarding Wordpress.

I think this should help going forward.

1 Like

Could you give me an example of how I could use css to edit the first two columns in the post loop? I’m confused as you add just one column when applying a loop…