Card Designer v1.1 new features

From what you are saying it sounds like no other user of Card Designer has created link settings in the project settings. That strikes me as very strange. Setting standard link colours is a basic procedure to ensure visual separation from other text on the page and retain a cohesive look across the site broadly.

It seems wrong that a global setting in project settings is overriding a custom class set by a bric. I believe Norm has stated previously that a custom class should always take precedence over a global setting and we are not asking to change the Seo value here, merely the colour and size of the text.

Take a look at text sizing in the side panel for example and we are always able to override the sizes allocated in project settings without altering Seo values. We should surely be able to do the same with the bric.

Just for clarification, I am not saying the fault necessarily lies with the bric, rather this is something that may need to be fixed in Blocs for an improved workflow.

1 Like

It seems wrong that a global setting in project settings is overriding a custom class set by a bric. I believe Norm has stated previously that a custom class should always take precedence over a global setting and we are not asking to change the Seo value here, merely the colour and size of the text.

Again, I’m not setting a custom class here (meaning for the font-size, color etc.). I’m allowing you to write css in realtime. That’s not the same as setting a custom class. Setting a custom class will degrade what’s currently possible with CD.

As for SEO, color, size, line-height, font, these are properties of the h2, h4, p, a tags. These are the tags that your global settings are overriding. If I was to change the tag your globals setting will not override them.

So in closing, I think I’m going in circles trying to explain that I am not using overriding classes and that’s why you have such a remarkable bric. The trade-off of this (first of type custom bric experience) means not using so many global overrides. Seems straight forward.

That’s a very long way of explaining there is a conflict with project settings. I only discovered the solution after clearing all custom classes.

No it’s not a conlflict @Flashman. That’s not considered a conflict because it’s how css works. The global override is doing its job. Any bric that wants to manipulate the css real-time will have same results. But if I give lesser option. (I.e. font sizes large, medium, small.) then I can over ride the override.

So no it’s not bug, or anything like that. It’s a choice to give one behavior over another. Excuse me for trying to educate folks including developers who may understand what ive written.

I know you tested this for months. All it needed is a note in the documentation early on to explain users will see unexpected results if they apply link parameters in project settings. I had to discover this by myself and I know you didn’t work it out.

Hopefully folks can see from the work I put into the docs that I have done my best to document everything. I’m not sure what your saying.

I’ll add this info the docs. Don’t globally override your h2, h4, p, a tags. Card Designer needs those.

1 Like

Nobody is doubting the work you put into the bric and it brings a lot to Blocs. By establishing the cause of the issue I was seeing it should save a lot of time all round.

1 Like

For sure this was worthwhile conversation because it helped refine the docs. So thanks for contributing there.

As a note for anyone else, if you make a class for those tags you can apply it to them and have a global class to edit. I actually prefer this to setting a global project setting. …but to each his own.

OK fine, but personally I wouldn’t want to be repeatedly applying custom classes manually to headers and paragraphs throughout a project. That is a lot more work than just applying a custom class where a deliberate difference is needed.

1 Like

Since it’s the same class for everything I actually don’t mind. You set it up and it’s as easy as any other setting in the sidebar. And you can copy the element as well. It’s worked really well for me. I’m just saying…:blush:

Hey @Whittfield I would like to change the font family of the top-title and the description. What is the class name for that? And is it possible to change the button style?

Top Line
.cd-tagline

Description
.cd-caption

I’m keen to add more button styles. Although you can do it, again these elements need some “constants” because of the hover caption feature and to be able to make all of your content look good at all breakpoints.

Trust me on this one, even thought it’s possible, I would caution not changing them. especially if you are going to use the hover caption effect. (mainly the description).

The height of the description and the ability to make CD responsive all hinge on some constants like the description height etc. It’s all makes sense but quite tricky to explain. prehaps in a DM if you really want the details.

3 Likes