Choosing a font

Hi everyone:

Now that Pete has released his latest Bric miracle (Off canvas) I am preparing to “re-tool” and rebuild my website.
Since I am not a website designer (a look at my site can tell you that :flushed:) I have a question for the website designers:
What compels you to choose one font over another?
There seems to be at least a quadrillion (I counted them :laughing:) fonts out there and I was wondering how you web designers decide which font to use for your main font?

I look forward to your answers.

Thank you

Rich the Weather Guy

1 Like

In most cases, this is defined by the customer’s brand guidelines.

For my personal and cats’ websites, I have a few favourites:
Archivo
Comfortaa
Helvetica Neue
MyriadPro
Open Sans
Sweet Sans Pro

1 Like

Hi @WeatherguyNH

Good subject to bring up!

Most of my work is working for clients who have a very very strict list of brand guidelines and part of their assets will be is they send me a woff2 font. If they do not have a web version of it, I then buy it and send the cost back to them.

But choosing my own fonts or for clients who do not have any brand guide lines, then I tend to select nice web friendly and fonts which I feel comfortable reading for long periods and I personally like fonts that have a nice family that I can create H2, H3 etc with in a heavy bold, bold etc with so I have good flexibility with.

Google Fonts have been good for me when I need this or fonts that I have on my Mac or buy them.

Main header fonts can be something wacky! or something classy - feel free to be creative. Most the time I tend to stick a main header H1 font with something that compliments the product, business or feel of the site.
Or if I want it to be the same I then go for a Heavy weight version and have it a lot bigger.

Fonts are great as you can be creative like the eventus blocs template the SUMMER FESTIVAL font on the home page is very nice, simple but effective.

I did a 2 day website for a fashion show event and they loved the huge bold font which was as big as the screen!! but with some playing around you can make it look great!

1 Like

Some are brand led, thought you can use it for just headers and use more legible fonts for the body text.

Others use system fonts for speed.

If you’re buying fonts make sure you have bought the right licence for web use.

1 Like

Thanks Jerry. I will need to go look at those…

Rich the Weather Guy

This is a good point Adie. I will keep that in mind.

Rich the Weather Guy

An excellent point. Since there are so many google fonts, I was not thinking I would buy a set. In fact, I am not even sure where to go to find fonts for sale?
I am sure I can research the web for that.

Rich the Weather Guy

Adie(or anyone else reading this):

Are there any fonts you just LOVE?
I am looking at the list Jerry sent, and they all look great to me, but got me wondering if anyone else has a font family they LOVE?

Rich the Weather Guy

1 Like

Hi Rich,

Well there are a lot I do use regular as I class as clean and easy to read fonts:

Lato
Montserrat
Open Sans
Poppins
Roboto
Helvetica
Cabin

are a few I like

Have a good play with google fonts, some brilliant fonts there !

1 Like

Get fancy, pick a font style from the year you were born, and see if there is a web version available :rofl:

http://www.identifont.com/year?0

2 Likes

Here’s a list of great font families (they all have lots of weights and some also have additional families such as Condensed or Expanded), and best of all, they’re all free to use (for detailed information, check out their license).

Sans Serif ----------------------------------------

Alegreya Sans
Alumni Sans
Anybody
Archivo
Barlow
Big Shoulders Text
Commissioner
Criativa Sans
D-DIN
D-DIN Pro
Encode Sans
Hubot Sans
IBM Plex Sans
Instrument Sans
Inter
Josefin Sans
Libre Franklin
Mona Sans
Montserrat
Montserrat Alternates
Morganite
Morrison
Nacelle
Nohemi
Nunito
Nunito Sans
Orbitron
Oswald
Oxanium
Poppins
Prodigy Sans
Prompt
Public Sans
Raleway
Rethink Sans
Roboto
Rubik
Saira
Secuela
Sofia Sans
Sora
Source Sans
Tanohe Sans
TASA Orbiter Text
Tektur
Wonder Unit Sans

Serif -------------------------------------------

Alegreya
Bitter Pro
Bodoni Moda
Crimson Pro
Faustina
Fraunces
Grenze
Hahmlet
Literata Book
Manuale
Merriweather
Petrona
Piazzolla
Roboto Serif
Rowan
Source Serif
Vollkorn

Slab Serif -------------------------------------

BioRhyme
Hepta Slab
Montagu Slab
Zilla Slab

1 Like

That is a fun link!!

Rich the Weather Guy

OMG Ghost!!
I could spend the rest of my life looking through that list!!

Thank you

Rich the Weather Guy

1 Like