CMS Support in Blocs

Howdy,

I work at an agency that builds websites. We use Blocs for websites that make few changes, and build more advanced websites in Craft CMS. The designers were hoping to see if we can somehow meld the two processes. Build the designs in Blocs and then wire them into Craft.

Is there a way to add custom exports for other CMSs? If not, are you guys abandoning support for October (I was thinking this could be a good compromise since they both use Twig)?

Alternatively, would developing custom brics allow for us to maybe have an editor placeholder that we can replace with Twig tags upon export?

Thanks!

Hi @bryanredeagle

OctoberCMS is what led me to using Blocs in the first place. Sadly it was removed as an export option.

And when I asked…

Back to my old workflow in that regards. :sob:

I did briefly look at Craft. What’s your opinion having obviously used October and Craft?

I have not used October. I was looking at the Blocs docs, and checked if any existing CMS exports supported Twig.

I’ve been meaning to look into it and its fork, Winter. I really like the idea of the built-in code editor.

I really enjoy Craft. Its biggest failing, in my opinion, is major version upgrades. It’s never as smooth as I would like, and involves a lot of hoop jumping. It’s SEO plugin is really solid though.

Yeah the split was a little messy. Since then I have done little with October, I was waiting for the dust to settle a little and see what happened. The Winter guys seems to run off with a chip on their shoulder initially (but lets not go there).

Anyway, it seems like October has moved on and improved.

The Builder plugin was exceptional for creating bespoke client sites that were easy for them to update without messing up the site. I really liked October.

Quickly designing in Blocs and then using October was fantastic.

That was the dream I was hoping for with Craft. Have the designers design with Blocs, and then I can wire it into Craft. I can do it using the raw HTML, but I figured maybe I can make the process faster with custom brics.

What’s the Craft template structure like? (I could look that up myself lol)

1 Like

Content in Craft isn’t divided into pages in the UI the way most CMSs do. You define fields, then create content types called Sections and add those fields to them. You can then, optionally, define a URL routing pattern and template to use for individual entries.

There’s a single templates folder where you then place your templates, and they don’t have packaged themes. Any file that doesn’t start with an underscore is also a page that can be viewed on your site (so index.twig routes to the home page, and blog/archive.twig would route to blog/archive).

Each template has access to a craft global that allows you to query for content any way you want and display them using Twig logic. Templates for individual entries also get an entry variable.

1 Like

The structure of October I like a lot, Themes, Layouts, Partials, Pages etc, allow you to very easily assemble what you want globally also.

Sounds like Sections is similar to partials maybe?

Although I haven’t used OctoberCMS 2.x yet.

Not exactly from what I’ve read about them. Craft can include other Twig templates and inject variables using Twig’s built-in include tag. It’s more like October’s new Tailor feature.

1 Like

I need to familiarise myself with 2. :joy: