Collapsing Accordion

@pixelwork Happy new year to you as well.

I think we need an accordion option like you see on this page https://3d-animator.net/privacy-cookies/ with the ability to add images or even video within each section if necessary, plus control over the speed that elements open and close.

Much like the tabs, it strikes me as a really obvious missing feature in Blocs at the moment.

1 Like

Strikes me too :wink:
Bootsrap 3 offers a lot variations, currently it seems we have to find ways to set them up ourselves using the code edition option in page setting and html brics.
This is for example something I would pay for if someone offers an easy and stable optin to include accordions - may be one is oble be themselves with the API (havent lokked into 2.5 by now as the season is starting and busy with just the context of our sites.
A basic bric would do for now, let´s what´s coming up in 2018.

Hi,

If you don’t need it to advanced you could do a simpler one like this!

3 Likes

For anyone wondering how to make an accordian like that, just use the “toggle visibility” action.

Very nice. What is the code? And do we just use the HTML bric?

H @Brett

Yes use this in a HTML brick.

Pros: It works, it’s easy and customizable.
Cons: You need to edit everything in HTML.

But hey… paste code and you’re on your way :+1:

<div class="container-faq">
<div class="panel-group" id="faqAccordion">
    <div class="panel panel-default ">
        <div class="panel-heading accordion-toggle question-toggle collapsed" data-toggle="collapse" data-parent="#faqAccordion" data-target="#question0" aria-expanded="false">
             <h4 class="panel-title">
                <a href="#" class="ing">Q: What is Lorem Ipsum?</a>
          </h4>

</div>
        <div id="question0" class="panel-collapse collapse" style="height: 0px;" aria-expanded="false">
            <div class="panel-body">
                 <h5><span class="label label-primary">Answer</span></h5>

<p>Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five <a href="http://google.com/" class="label label-success">http://google.com/</a> centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.
                    </p>
            </div>
        </div>
    </div>
        <div class="panel-heading accordion-toggle question-toggle collapsed" data-toggle="collapse" data-parent="#faqAccordion" data-target="#question1" aria-expanded="false">
             <h4 class="panel-title">
                <a href="#" class="ing">Q: Why do we use it?</a>
          </h4>

</div>
        <div id="question1" class="panel-collapse collapse" style="height: 0px;" aria-expanded="false">
            <div class="panel-body">

<p>It is a long established fact that a reader will be distracted by the readable content of a page when looking at its layout. The point of using Lorem Ipsum is that it has a more-or-less normal distribution of letters, as opposed to using 'Content here, content here', making it look like readable English. Many desktop publishing packages and web page editors now use Lorem Ipsum as their default model text, and a search for 'lorem ipsum' will uncover many web sites still in their infancy. Various versions have evolved over the years, sometimes by accident, sometimes on purpose (injected humour and the like).</p>
            </div>
        </div>
    </div>
        <div class="panel-heading accordion-toggle collapsed question-toggle" data-toggle="collapse" data-parent="#faqAccordion" data-target="#question2" aria-expanded="false">
             <h4 class="panel-title">
                <a href="#" class="ing">Q: Where does it come from?</a>
          </h4>

</div>
        <div id="question2" class="panel-collapse collapse" style="height: 0px;" aria-expanded="false">
            <div class="panel-body">

<p>Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.</p>
            </div>
        </div>
    </div>
        <div class="panel-heading accordion-toggle collapsed question-toggle" data-toggle="collapse" data-parent="#faqAccordion" data-target="#question3" aria-expanded="false">
             <h4 class="panel-title">
                <a href="#" class="ing">Q: Where can I get some?</a>
          </h4>

</div>
        <div id="question3" class="panel-collapse collapse" style="height: 0px;" aria-expanded="false">
            <div class="panel-body">

<p>There are many variations of passages of Lorem Ipsum available, but the majority have suffered alteration in some form, by injected humour, or randomised words which don't look even slightly believable. If you are going to use a passage of Lorem Ipsum, you need to be sure there isn't anything embarrassing hidden in the middle of text. </p>
            </div>
        </div>
    </div>

</div>
<!--/panel-group-->
2 Likes

“toggle visibility” is a great feature.
But as far as I understood it´s not collapsing working if you want to use collapsing former links.

May be I am not aware of its full potential…

My bad, I think. I remember when it was originally discussed that I had hoped that the visibility function could trigger a list of ids to make invisible and a list to make visible. That would make an accordian possible. We also need to control the initial visibility.

The plain toggle just doesn’t go far enough.

It’s niggling me because I was sure I made an accordian using vanilla blocsapp in the past.

That’s very cool. Can we accomplish this using Blocs? I don’t see anywhere a “toggle visibility” action.

Hi @Creative

I don’t understand, what is it you want to “toggle visibility” on?

Maybe someone will develop a bloc in the future so we can edit the content easier than having to edit the actual html code.

1 Like

Yes I agree with Flasman et all that we need an accordion brick.
I am truly grateful that there is a way around it by inserting some HTML code, but I’m way over my comfort zone with that. ( why I like and need Blocs!)

It’s a great idea that users will be able to develope and contribute bricks now. It will make this app rocket ahead like when Apple started 3rd party apps for the iPhone. Should free up Norm for all the heavy lifting.

I know there is a big bag of feature requests in Norm’s in-basket for the actual app, but I wonder if we could start a simple Brick request page for user developed bricks.
Cheers Barry

1 Like

HI Jakerlund – Thanks for the code. I just downloaded Blocs to begin to learn it, and though I am not a coder, and only have a rudimentary understanding of html, I am curious where would I past this code in Blocs to try out the accordion? Thanks

btw…to All – There is Bric out there called FAQ which is a fee accordion widget, found here: https://www.bricsdesign.com

Hi,

Put this code into the in Blocs. See the screenshot below.

ah, so do you mean to first place this ‘HTML bric’ into some kind of ‘bloc container’, and then paste the code in the HTML bric?

Okay, I answered my own question: yes, “place the html bric in a block and paste the code in the html bric”…viola!

It worked.

However, when i previewed it in a browser and clicked any ‘Question’ tab, it opens the ‘Answer’ but the page jumps to the top of the site, and I needed to scroll back down to look at the now visible ‘Answer’ panel. The structure of the page I’m experimenting with has 3 stacked blocs, and the html bric is in the bottom one.

• Any thoughts on how to keep the bric in view and not jump to the top of the page?

• And is there a way to make it so that when one of the ‘Question’ tabs is clicked all other open ‘Answer’ panels close automatically, so only the selected ‘Answer’ is in view?

Thanks for the support, you ROCK!

Just to let everyone know - I’m going to add an optional close other answers to my FAQ in the next few days.

Bill
BricsDesign

6 Likes

hi, that’s a great job and I will use that example for my FAQ section.

I would love if you could do the similar html coding for tabs :pray:t2:
When I tried to copy/paste the tab example in bootstrap 4.0 documentation html it didn’t work properly :confused:

1 Like

Until now BlocsApp uses Bootstrap 3

With the next bigger Update (BlocsApp version 3), which in general will come once later this year, Bootstrap 4 will be used.

So already try to use an Bootstrap 3 Tab example for now.

1 Like

Guys, I just completed a project that used accordians quite a bit in different areas. (click on one of the “LEARN MORE” buttons at the top).

signcrafters.powweb.com/PRE-LAUNCH/ESS-BETA/residential.html

I’d like to be able to control screen position when an accordion CTA button is clicked, and also be able to control the screen position once the accordion “CLOSE” button is clicked. On the website mentioned above, I set the action of the “CLOSE” button to redirect to the same page, therefore refreshing it and at least leading the viewer back to the top of the page where the buttons are visible from. But ideally, I’d like to be able to lead the viewer back to say, the top of the buttons, rather than the very top of the page.

Ideally too, I agree that when a second menu item (if it exists) is clicked, all other accordion sections would automatically close. This is basic intuitive behavior in my opinion. On this recent job (for the link shown above), my client was unhappy with the behavior of the accordions. It left the visitor feeling lost at times if they didn’t close sections one at a time.

At the very least, we need to be able to perform these 2 actions: Toggle the section closed AND utilize an anchor to set the position of the page once a section is opened and/or closed. Hope that all made sense.

I think I need more coffee… Warm Regards, Randy