Do I need Linux OR Windows hosting? (at GoDaddy)

I’ve just made a very simple website with Blocs (really simple and straight-forward).
I plan to buy some webhosting from GoDaddy.

However, they offer Linux hosting and Windows hosting, and I don’t know which option to choose.

They explain: “Choose Windows if you plan to use ASP or ASP.NET. Our Windows customers typically use a SQL server (MS SQL) or Access database. Choose Linux if you’re going to use PHP, Perl, Python or CGI scripting. Our Linux accounts use a MySQL database.”

Which one do I need?

A lot will depend on if, and what database you might be using. If no database issues, I would be inclined to opt for Linux and Apache, but that is a personal choice.

I don’t know what database I’m using, or even if I’m using one at all (I might need to mention this is my first website ever). It’s just a simple website with texts and some pictures (not even a carroussel), nothing fancy.

I’d just like to be able to upload the files that Blocs produce when I export the website (which works fine locally, in Chrome).

In that case, you probably aren’t using one :slight_smile: Apache and ASP.NET pretty much do the same thing by way of publishing the site, but as I say my preference would be Linux and Apache. The plus is that there are a lot of people out there using it, and they are all willing to help if you need it.

Since blocsapp generates PHP form handlers, I’d suggest going with linux and PHP.

Usually a cheaper host than the windows version.

Put it this way - it’s been years since I last used windows for a website host.

Six or half a dozen. I prefer Linux.

Go with Linux, i believe it will be the best solution for your circumstances…

Linux everytime for me.