Embed Blogger Blog Into Blocs Web Site

Is there a way to insert my Blogger blog into a page in my Blocs web site?
I have tried an iFrame, but can’t seem to get the css code to attach. Have also tried an RSS feed, but it does not sow up on mobile.

That or is there a good way to add a blog to a blocs page from an external blog site? Something that can be easily edited via a web browser on an iPad or iPhone rather than having to use the blocs app to add data and upload via FTP each time.

1 Like

It should just be a case of using a HTML bric and including the code here:

Use 100% for width and height in the script

Ok, thanks. I had tried that but could not get it to fit responsive on mobile.

I don’t see why mobile should be any different to desktop, though blogger might have an issue.

When I embed the iFrame on mobile it is still full width and you have to slide the window left and right to view it. I’ve looked for code to fix this but it requires extra css stylesheet, which I am not very good at.

Basically I think if I knew how to add css to a page, I think I can get it to work.

I may just stick with clicking through to my blogger page. I also tried embedding it as an RSS which is mobile responsive, but does not have a nice formatting.

Did you manage your blog in the end?

I had a few issues with getting external content to open in an iFrame. The problem was always that the iFrame size was fixed across the different devices. In the end, I used a little trick to get things working correctly. I don’t know if it will work with your Blog, but this is what I did.

I inserted a video bric where I wanted my iFrame content to appear. I then edited the code in the sidebar and changed the source bit to point to my external content. This gave me the expected result - fully resized in each device view. You can see it working at http://triselcommunications.com. Just scroll down the page to the Digital Publications Section. You will see a page-turning publication displayed in an iframe. Move further down the page to the Online Presentations section, and you will see a keynote presentation displayed in an iFrame. Both of these were created by using a modified video bric.

Of course, for this to work correctly, the content to be displayed in the iFrame must be responsive - otherwise you’ll still be faced with having to scroll from side to side.

1 Like

Interesting - could you explain how you’re hosting the digital publication (and making it responsive)?

The publication itself is created with an app called flipPDF. This creates a responsive publication with variants for flash as well as HTML5. This is then published to a subfolder of the domain - in this case http://triselcommunications.com/chai. The subfolder name is then used as the src in the video bric. I did exactly the same with the keynote presentation - export to HTML and then upload to it’s own folder. Again, just link the folder as the src in the video bric. By the way, Keynote is a great application for making interactive animations for inclusion into websites. It’s not as extensive as Hype, but it is a whole lot easier to use for simple animations.

I found the video bric to be very useful for displaying responsive content from all sorts of third party sites. I’m sure the same could be done by simply adding a responsive iframe via an html bric but, the video bric is ready made for this type of thing, so why not use it?

Since my last post, I did try using the video bric with a blogger page and it worked just fine.

2 Likes

Hendon52

I use FlipPDF for magazines and such. But have never hosted any of the exported HTML5 I normally upload to their service and its working properly.
The client has large 80 page magazines. But I am interested to see what is the hit on the site should I post a FlipPDF magazine to a subfolder on the host.

Totally agree about Keynote. I have used FlipPDF for Straightforward slideshows its all about playing with the settings. Changing the background, menu etc.

ebal,

I usually host flipPDF in client hosts for the simple reason that they get the SEO benefit. These publications can be read by search engines so it’s often a good idea to have search engines index the content for the benefit of the domain owner, rather than the benefit of third-party servers. As you say, it’s also good if you want Google Analytics to give you essential feedback on readership numbers - particularly if the magazines sell advertising space. That said, the hosting provided by the software vendor is great value and is guaranteed to work well. As such, the third-party hosting option is great for making back-issues available without clogging up the client’s server.

Hendon52,

Maybe a mix is not a bad idea. Host the current issue on Host. To get the SEO value plus feedback. But keeping say two issues back and the archival on FlipPDF systems might be best to keep the host cleaner.

Hendon, I went to you website demo to see the flippdf. It doesn’t look like doing much.

@Solvberg Yes, you are correct. There are some changes taking place after migrating the site. Everything should be working again in a day or two - the changes may well have propagated already, clear you cache and try again. Please let me know if it still isn’t working.

@Hendon, it is working now. Great to see. But, I thought computerworld had abandoned Flash?

They have, but Flash is only used as a fallback on the page-flip publications. The primary version served up is HTML, but if people still have flash installed, they may get the flash version instead. Certainly on Mobile devices, they are unlikely to be served a flash version.

Guess it like I thought then. Thanks, you gave me an idea. Micro fiction, 300 words pr. page