Forum images not showing

Is anybody else having trouble seeing images on the forum? I have had difficulties for weeks now across multiple browsers, whether on Mac or Android not showing images.

Normally the site should go to https://forum.blocsapp.com/ but in practice it is always forwarding to https://blocsforum.discoursehosting.net and from there I cannot see images 95% of the time, making it hard to understand issues, let alone help. All I am seeing is empty areas with a missing graphic logo where the image should be.

As a test I just tried going to http://www.discoursehosting.net and all I get is a Cloudflare message:

" # Error 1001

Ray ID: 71ec0637cfb3004e • 2022-06-21 10:22:39 UTC

DNS resolution error

What happened?

You’ve requested a page on a website (www.discoursehosting.net) that is on the Cloudflare network. Cloudflare is currently unable to resolve your requested domain (www.discoursehosting.net). There are two potential causes of this:

• Most likely: if the owner just signed up for Cloudflare it can take a few minutes for the website’s information to be distributed to our global network.

• Less likely: something is wrong with this site’s configuration. Usually this happens when accounts have been signed up with a partner organization (e.g., a hosting provider) and the provider’s DNS fails."

@Norm is there any way to fix this? In the past there would be brief outage periods lasting an hour or so but this is continuous now and I’ve tried practically everything at my end like restarting the router, accessing via mobile data, flushing the DNS via the terminal etc and all to no avail.

I had this on my phone over the weekend, so can’t comment as far as desktop based browsers were concerned, but all seems ok to me now on both phone and desktop.

Curiously I just tried disabling Apple Private Relay and the images appeared, however it was still forwarding to https://blocsforum.discoursehosting.net, so I flushed the DNS and now it is going to the right location. This worked once before, though it only lasted for a very short time and only on Safari.

I should add though that I’ve had the same issue on my Android phone and that obviously doesn’t have Private Relay through iCloud.

I’ve been having this for over a week now, but I don’t have Private Relay enabled at all.

Not sure why the redirect is happening:

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> forum.blocsapp.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 48629
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4000
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;forum.blocsapp.com.		IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
forum.blocsapp.com.	10914	IN	A	72.10.35.42

Yet if I do a dig on blocsforum.discoursehosting.net, I get a completely different ip in return:

dig blocsforum.discoursehosting.net                                                                                                                   ok

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> blocsforum.discoursehosting.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 60651
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4000
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;blocsforum.discoursehosting.net. IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
blocsforum.discoursehosting.net. 255 IN	A	206.189.238.85

It almost seems there’s a config error somewhere in the initial server, which then forces a redirect.

I think there is definitely some sort of server configuration issue here that needs to be checked. At the moment it is working for me correctly in Safari, but not Brave. Chances are Safari will revert to having problems again before long.

Now I am back to the forwarded url and no images again. This was only a very occasional problem up to about a month ago and since then it has been almost constant for me across different browsers, devices and platforms.

The forwarded URL i got for a couple of weeks now. The image issue started today only on my own posts. :man_facepalming:

The url forwarding and loss of image are definitely related and I suspect that is security thing with images stored elsewhere. From what I can tell though this just becomes worse over time and it needs fixing. I tried the Private Relay trick again and it didn’t work this time.

Yep having same issues for a couple of weeks now.

Earlier today I had this:

Just now I had this:

There is very obviously something wrong here.

This usually happens when our service provider updates the forum software. It typically corrects itself after a day or so depending on your location (CDN related)

I’ve been seeing problems now for about a month.

1 Like

I’ll let them know. Anyone else been having these issues for a month or so?

A few in this thread report having had problems for a week or two. I would say it has gradually become more unreliable over a few months now where it might randomly be wrong for a weekend, then correct itself. More recently it is rarely right.

But for how many? For me it’s generally ok everyday. It’s hard to tell if it’s a few or most people.

I’ve been seeing this behaviour on 3 seperate devices, using my internet at home, my mobile subscription and the internet connection at the office (about 13 miles from here). Been seeing this for at least a couple of weeks.

1 Like

Same for me. All devices, different locations and connections.

1 Like

Missing images for everyone?

I couldn’t connect to the forum at all yesterday for a while.

Also the subdomain forum.blocsapp… is often not working for me. It goes to the discourse hosting one.

For me it has been redirecting to discourse hosting 95% of the time and that is generally when the images disappear.