General observations coming from an outsider

I think you have all of us wrong. We are a open minded community that has always helped others.

Enough said
Casey

Nobody here is feeling threatened and I’ve never seen a discussion take this tone since the forum started. This is a friendly place with open discussion. It doesn’t matter a jot to me which design app you choose to use. That is your choice.

As somebody who has worked in the past with RW I merely wanted to point out that any statement about Blocs being limited should really be based on more than a few days experience.

Hey, I completely understand your point and don’t think you need to defend your comments or viewpoint. It offers a great insight and will surely help us here at Blocs HQ.

However, I think some of the comments by the regulars may have been taken the wrong way, folks here are just trying to highlight the good points of Blocs and they are passionate about it.

I also agree it has gone off topic now regarding age etc.

Hi Rob @FlexitarianFixie

Depending on people’s background and needs (and again I am not and have never been talking about age here) the merits of each application would appear differently. Someone who would have the time and the desire to dive a little further would probably prefer Blocs over RW. That’s it.

Sad you read my post differently.

MDS

Fine, I will answer one more time and after that, I will maintain “radio-silence” on this topic.

I have no doubts about willingness of members of this forum to help newcomers and/or seasoned Blocs’ users. That is not a problem at all.

I agree completely. I am not getting into details of both applications. I don’t have expertise in Blocs to do that. My observations are general.

Thank you for that, Norm. I also thought that my opinions didn’t need to be defended. Nor that they could be taken as attacks on anybody or anything. I tend to discuss things on-topic and on-merit, always trying to understand the point of view of people I am having a discussion with. Personal considerations are always the last thing on my mind.

No, MDS, in a case like that, I would choose hand-coding over Blocs and over RW.

Thank you all for a lively discussion, even if it didn’t go exactly as I hoped for.

Well then you should have open the discussion to Blocs, RW and hand-coding.

MDS

Welcome to the Blocs forum @FlexitarianFixie.

This is my take away from reading your comments.

It seems fair to say that maybe so far you really have not taken the time to get to know the app or the benefits it offers and are only seeing the shortcomings based upon your needs or previous workflow.

So from what you perceive of the app you already want more without really truly knowing its workflow or abilities regarding your stated limited understanding of the app vs your existing requirements from the other app.

Given all those comments, it seems your current app/workflow/investment remains your best option presently even amongst its various flaws or shortcomings which might have brought you here. Until Blocs reaches your expectations for plugins, features, etc., maybe its still needed that you continue using your current app due to your desire, reliance and investment of using add-ons/stacks.

In the meantime simply use each app to their abilities for your project requirements. Keep learning Blocs and the benefits it can offer you - until it further meets your overall requirements as it matures.

Until Blocs becomes further advanced, such topics won’t really yield any definitive conclusions. I’m sure everyone has various hopes and dreams for Blocs, 3rd party development, templates, tutorials, and the entire ecosystem surrounding Blocs. No doubt Blocs current features are what gravitate people towards it, so that speaks favorably towards what it offers already.

But until it matures further such threads will yield similar results. I can recall many other similar discussions have taken place over time by new or existing users. It’s nothing against you, its just the nature of such threads.

:wink:

Hi Rob, @FlexitarianFixie

I think it’s good to share views from outside experience, without such views Blocs may not reach higher levels of potential. I’m sure some of those ideas may percolate through to tweaks and additions later down the line. So please continue to use Blocs :slight_smile:

I used RW for around 10 years and whilst it worked and I made it work quite successfully, I much prefer the Blocs software and how it does things out the box. I also prefer this community, so very helpful and norm’s involvement with the community is very impressive.

Please also bear in mind that with so many nationalities using the forum and the common tongue of English, we all have a slightly different tonal approach to the language and sometimes things get misconstrued a little.

Have a great day!