Global Block

A Global Bloc or Bric that can be used in the Dynamic area of any page, that when edited, reflects across all instances of the Bloc or Bric across the site.

Use cases:

• Price list
  • Important notice
  • Call to Action
    …Any item that is shown on more than one page

Making editing more efficient, not having to change it on every single page.

Webflow call them ‘Symbols’.

5 Likes

This is a great idea and one if its not in a bric, could be implanted into Blocs - @Norm - maybe this could be something to bring into Blocs?

I remember using another platform and they had the same type of things.

So if I did this in Blocs it would work like:

• Open the Global Bric which could be like a DIV, and place the bric i want inside.

• I edit the bric, and as @simonclay has said, do a price list, maybe a latest offers list

• That first one would have a unique ID I would give it like: Clearance

• I would then duplicate this throughout the website and the bric with the same ID would change on each page.

On my old website a few years ago I would have equipment say for example a speaker I would hire out, If this speaker needed replacing with an image of a new one and text as we no longer had the old one, i would change it on one page and all the pages that had the image of that speaker in would change - it was great and so so simple.

Taking this method further - is this something maybe Jannis @Jannis could bring into Volt? - would be so simple for the client to change then.

Isn’t the structure already in place with headers and footers in their global areas? - so this should be made possible to bring in other areas…I hope !

2 Likes

Already now you’re able to add a Volt CMS Content bric in the global footer area, visible on all pages.

2 Likes

Hi Jannis,

I am thinking of this globally on webpages not in the header and footer - so in the middle of a page, and make this a global item?

1 Like

Well, you’re able to specify the content name by yourself. With this you are able to reuse the same Volt CMS content bric on different pages.

4 Likes

While that is true and a very easy way to achieve this if you already have Volt CMS, it might be a bit of an investment to purchase Volt CMS solely for that reason. I do agree, that a simple global bric sounds like a jolly good idea.

1 Like

I like Volt CMS, but Global Brick, or whatever it might be called, is something I have been dreaming about for a long time. It would be very helpful.

2 Likes

Thanks people. Yes, Volt CMS would a little overkill for this instance.

But Global Bloc would be an efficient timesaver!

Currently I am getting round it by writing custom html files, eg: price-list.html, including it in Project Attachments, then pulling it into any page with a Code Widget containing: <?php include 'blocs-includes/price-list.html';?>

4 Likes

Thanks Adie, the hired speaker use case is a great example :slight_smile:

1 Like

This was talked about some time ago. I think it would be great. I also use another system that allows you to create a “bloc” and then copy it to another page. You can then set that “bloc” to be linked to the other one and any changes are reflected across them. It’s very handy.

It would be an awesome addition to Blocs.

2 Likes

Which systems is that?

Thanks @PeteSharp. Please let us know what system you use to do that. It sounds almost exactly what we need.

Just hit another instance where I need this. I really hope this is built into Blocs one day.