[GUIDE] Compressing photos images videos and PDF files for the site

I decided to write a little guide for beginners and not only on how to compress photos and other files that we want to put on the site.

For this I usually use:

• Pixelmator Pro - without it I’m like without hands. It has a built-in tool for preparing web assets in two resolutions - which works without starting the program. It’s good for making quick assets.
    • Image Optim - brilliant photo compression program - I use it every day. The only flaw is that it does not support WebM format.
    • Optimage - not a bad program but the free version has a limit on the number of files. It does an excellent pdf compression in two clicks if needed. Compresses worse than Image Optim or compressor - and the difference can be more than twice as much.
    • HadBrake - In case you need to compress video.

The scenario is this:

I look for photos on sites with CC0 photo rights - that is, those that allow me to use the photo for commercial purposes as well.

If I want to change the image format or resolution - I use Pixelmator Pro.
If the images are the same - then I use the built-in function to prepare the assets directly from the desktop -
Desaturate Background

Then I run it through Image optim settings:

Earlier I was sure that there is nothing better than https://compressor.io, but by experiments I found out that these ImageOptim settings give exactly the same size as compressor or very similar.

Bottom line - for simple compression I definitely recommend ImageOptim at the above settings.
For PDF compression you can use Optimage - rarely do you need to do a lot of PDF compression and therefore the free limit is enough.

For photo editing, my choice is Pixelmator Pro.

What if you want to increase the resolution of a photo instead of compressing it?
I found only two normal human ways to do it.

1. Via Pixelmator - it uses a neural network and shows very good results. This allows you to either increase the resolution of the photo - or conversely decrease the resolution of the photo with minimal loss of detail. I have experimented a lot and am very happy with this feature.
  2. Through a neural network deployed by a kind person on the Internet - waifu2x - it works.

What if you have already created a site - with uncompressed photos?
It’s simple - make an upload site - go to the folder with images - and there select all and send it to image Optim - it does not change the name of the photos and after uploading to the server everything works fine.

If anyone has any questions or wants to make additions or corrections - I’ll be happy to.

Previous topic on image compression:

2 Likes

Pretty much the same process I started doing with my last few projects. Nice Guide!
The only difference is that I use PDFExpert for compression.

1 Like

I use PDFExpert for compression

At almost $100, I don’t see the point.
Optimage does a great job with PDF - and for free.

@Newbie Whilst Optimage is a great little image optimiser, it doesn’t actually compress PDF’s. It will compress scanned PDF documents which isn’t quite the same thing. Scanned PDF’s are images and lose their text readability/searchability/selectability. PDF’s retain all the content of the file (text, images graphics etc.) One of the best products for reducing PDF sizes is PDFsqueezer, which sonly about €10, so it isn’t going to break the bank.

I don’t need to do this that often, however this site has been OK to compress PDF files online and the results seem reasonable at default settings.

On the home page it offers other PDF related tricks.

Didn’t realize how much it was now. I actually got it at a major discount years ago. Paid $30, I believe.

Scanned PDF’s are images and lose their text readability/searchability/selectability.
Are you sure you’re not mistaken?
I just checked - I compressed a PDF document Optimage - from 1 megabyte it turned into 50 kilobytes and all the functions - - - are saved.

@Newbie Maybe I’ve misunderstood the company’s information. Their site says that the app compresses scanned PDF’s which I took to mean documents that have been scanned to a PDF file - thereby making the whole document into an image file. Clearly that isn’t the case, so, a good option for all sorts of optimisation. Thanks for the heads-up.

1 Like

I used to use it too.
But sometimes you need to compress confidential information.
For example a bank statement. Or a contract.
We don’t know how such services relate to data security.
That is why it is better to have a native application on a PC - where the author of the application earns money - and he himself is known. He will definitely try not to play with fire.
That’s why I prefer compression on my PC.
Also, you may have heard about vulnerabilities based on exif script execution.
I’m not an expert, but I think it’s better to be safe than sorry.

I have just tried to compress a few PDF files with ImageOptim and none of them work. It doesn’t seem to recognise PDF as a valid format.

1 Like

@Flashman ImageOptim doesn’t do PDF’s, However, OptiImage does.

1 Like

The only reason I use Otimage is because Imageoptim can’t compress PDFs.
So each program has its own purpose.

I just compared the result of compressing an interior photo through:

1. image optim - the tone of the photo is lost. and strongly. on the settings that I gave above.

2. compressor io - the tones of the photo are preserved - despite the fact that the size is the same as that of image optim.

The final conclusion - when quality is important - you will have to use compressor io. there is a limit on the number but it is easily bypassed through vpn.