How much Ram needed to run Blocs Smoothly

Blocs freezes saying there is not enough Application Memory

I have a Mac Book Pro with 16 Ram…
When I first click on Blocs to open…there is 11.30 GB available in the Application Memory- As it continues to open a file the available Application Memory DROPS DOWN to 733 MB! …when Blocs is the ONLY app running!

Is there something in the Blocs Settings that will reduce the amount of app memory being used?

I have already MISSED my completion date and Blocs keeps freezing or crashing!!

I’m in serious trouble with the client and I AM WONDERING if I should be using DIVI instead.

Thank you

Hi there,

I use an old MacBook Air with 16gb without any issues. Have you tried reinstalling blocs to see if there’s any improvement?

1 Like

What OS version are you using? I seriously wouldn’t worry about ram usage, because recent versions of Mac OS are configured to use as much ram as available, then allocate a percentage elsewhere if required. Your MBP is more than capable of running Blocs.

The question of freezing or crashing is more important, so I would ask what version of Blocs you are using and whether you have sent in any crash reports? Also, are there any steps you can list that will replicate this behaviour?

You haven’t said if you are on an Intel machine or M1 either. I know there have been a few M1crashes that should be much less frequent now.

How much free space do you have on your boot drive. This can cause the application memory issue too.

1 Like

I have a late 2016 Macbook Pro with 16Gb running Catalina. I generally have all the following running in addition to Blocs - Firefox, Mail, Photoshop, Indesign, Acrobat, Forklift and one or two other utility apps. Even with all this running I’ve never had a memory issue. I do use a little app called Memory Diag which keeps an eye on things and works well.

On Blocs 3 I was able to run it smoothly on a 2007 iMac with just 4 gigs of ram. I don’t believe Blocs 4 is significantly more resource hungry and indeed runs more quickly for previews etc.

1 Like

This view is not really saying how much memory is used really by the application.

The ram footprint is pretty shallow for Blocs.

The only time blocs will show down usually is when opening, exporting and saving really large projects.

1 Like

On my old MBP mid 2012/16GB ram Blocs worked very smoothly. On my new M1 MBP 16GB it runs like a charm…

I have a MacBook Pro 2019 with 16GB RAM. Blocs is as smooth as silk on it.

Are your issues confined to blocsapp?

Please tell us more about your system OS etc.

Thank you ALL for your responses!
I’m Grateful to not be on this journey alone.

I’m on MacBook Pro 2017 MacOS 10.15.7, Quad-Core Intel Core i7
I have 167.5 GB Free Storage on the boot drive.
I EMPTIED (moved to external drive)…my downloads, desktop, movies, pictures, documents (except core operating files) and my invisible cache files.

I was on Blocs 3…I didn’t reinstall… I upgraded to Blocs 4

I didn’t send crash reports…as far as repeating…No other apps open …I was simply trying to launch now…Blocs 3 & now Blocs 4…

I use the Memory Clean 2 app. which tracks the memory being used…with NO other apps open…it is showing it starting with 11.30 GB available in the Application Memory as the program launches, it brings it down to 733 MB available in the Application Memory…and then the Blocs app reports non-responsive.

Originally, when I first installed Blocs 3, I COULD run multiple apps…then it started taking longer and longer to save.

I was using Chrome…had the same problem as now…using Brave browser.

This is ONLY happening with Blocs…with all my other apps, I am able to run multiple apps at the same time.

On reading all of your responses…my experience does not make sense!..
It seems I should Uninstall and then reinstall…How do I Uninstall?

I am reviewing various unistall apps:
https://wethegeek.com/5-best-uninstaller-apps-for-mac-in-2017/

Your thoughts?

How big is your Blocs project file?

Just one…

…sorry, but not sorry, I had to.

To me, it sounds to be a Blocs file issue and not Blocs app related. Please check your file size and you will most like see it’s close to 1GB or even bigger. This could be caused by 2 reasons: 1. Your images are embedded in the Blocs file (which should not be an issue) but not optimised for the web (which is an issue for several reasons).
2. Blocs had a bug a while ago where it duplicated embed assets. Basically, every time you save(d) your file it duplicated in size. To remove duplicated assets go to Beta -----> remove duplicate embedded assets. Follow the instructions and don’t forget to backup first!

1 Like

:slight_smile: Brilliant ! LOL

Jerry, I think you may have the right insight. The block file size is Bloc Project - 14.56 GB! and there really are not that many images…It’s not a super big site.

I’ll check into your suggestion and keep you posted…THANKS!

Kynthea

2 Likes

Yeah use the clear duplicate embed assets, its been moved to the developer tools menu.

This should fix the project up. Also, apologies for the inconvenience.

3 Likes

I never used embed projects in Blocs file originally because last time I used it, it took a while to save and I’m someone who saves constantly! I believe Norm has made it better now since I last used it. The other problem I had was once you embed them all, how do you switch back to normal without relinking all images as I have over 1500.

Either way the linking method works well for me and I have no complaints :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s insanely large and may even be a Blocs record. Like @Brocky120 I host assets remotely where possible and never embed them in the project file. I have a hundred page site in development and it’s only about 20mb. Most project files are around 2mb, so something is obviously very different with yours.

1 Like