How much Ram needed to run Blocs Smoothly

Thanks for the feedback Norm, but to be clear I’m not at all advocating for removal of the feature.

From what you say it sounds like the solution is meant to serve a different purpose than exporting bundled projects.

It’s purpose is to help find the proper files upon opening the project.

It only works well up to a certain file size and we won’t know what’s happening until performance degrades. These observations will hopefully inspire a clean solve.

Thanks

1 Like

I mainly use the Embed Assets option almost all the time :sunglasses:

1 Like

Sure, but the main issue here is caused by a bug that’s now fixed.

Creating a Blocs project of this size would require a lot of content potentially tens of thousands of images.

Having said that, the root of the issue you mention really comes down to the fact you can’t revert a project with embedded asset back to linked, very easily. I’ll see if I can integrate something to handle that :sunglasses:

How about taking everything that is embedded in the project and creating an export function that copies files to a predefined local destination with links created automatically in the asset manager? This would effectively be a seamless transition.

Yeah that was going to be my next question. Be neat to have an option to export embedded assets to a folder, and have the links update. (I am not sure how complex that is?)

If I am making smaller sites / or themes for OctoberCMS, embedding is just convenient. I could image large projects are probably better with a different workflow.

@Norm @Flashman @Brocky120 @Whittfield @pauland @PeteSharp

OK GUYS, I’m new to Blocs, yet have had ‘some’ experience with linked files using DaVinci video editing app.

I think I can reasonably assume that the embed option is active because the file size became so enormous…but I don’t remember selecting that option.

My question is HOW do I KNOW that my current file is ‘SET’ to Embed everything as shown in that screenshot after the fact? And if it is, HOW do I deselect that option?

Or do I have to completely rebuild/duplicate the site to undo the Embed function?

Thanks

Project Settings - you will see the option at the bottom under the first tab.

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 1.22.26 PM

YES! The Embed Function was checked…thank you:)

1 Like

I am actually very surprised you can uncheck that box once the project has been created.

It may well be that the original volume that the original asset was on is now gone, so that could be instant disaster.

How does blocsapp handle unchecking “embed” @Norm ?

technically Blocs can handle multiple files embedded and linked in a single project, but it’s just not good practice.

I don’t force it on after the initially selection as it would cause frustration for those that enable it, add a few assets and then revert back.

It’s worth noting the behaviour is no longer a problem with embed assets. The issue started in Blocs v3 and was fixed in both v3 and v4, however, the data issue is actually stored in the file, so it requires a clean function to correct it. Not all projects are effected thats why you needed to manually run it.

After that, it will work and embed files as expected and will not expand the file to such large levels.

I knew blocsapp would handle multiple files but what I was curious about was the effect of turning off that option in the project settings after assets had been added.

I can see that blocsapp still retains the embeded project assets even with the box unchecked, until the asset is removed and then re-added. Smart.

1 Like

When it’s disabled it just links to any new assets added. So it’s possible to have mixed projects, but I don’t recommend doing (mixed asset storage) that as I have OCD. :nerd_face: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It quite intrigues me the resistance of the user community and indeed @Norm to embedding assets in the project file. For many years I worked as a Flash developer and that’s exactly how Flash handled assets.

I’m comfortable with using a good directory structure and there’s good reasons to do so, but the big pull of a program like blocsapp is to people who want to make websites with as little knowledge as possible and for many of them organising stuff is an issue and embedded assets solves that.

So let’s not look down on people that want to embed assets - it’s perfect for small projects.

I use embed all the time, too. It’s great for sending and sharing example projects really quickly.

hmmm, I couldn’t find anything in this thread that I’d consider “looking down” on anyone. Of course you are entitled to that opinion, I don’t think this is what has happened here.

Again. No one is advocating to remove the feature. That couldn’t be farther from the truth.

What we are doing is improving our understanding of the technical ramifications of using the feature. Judging from the responses in the thread, it’s a long overdue conversation.

Have a great day everyone!

1 Like

Nobody is looking down on those who prefer to embed assets, however I do find it makes the workflow more tricky by losing the ability with right click to refresh or find assets in the finder from the asset manager. If you are changing assets regularly and want to maintain the same file name for example or wish to locate the original file that becomes a nuisance.

2 Likes

I think Embedded Assets feature can be improved, but even now, it’s one of my favorite Blocs features ever. It’s obviously not for every project, but for the majority of them, it’s a must have feature for me.

Over the years, 99 out of a 100 Blocs users I have helped didn’t know how to send a project to me without missing assets. Now, it’s 5 of 100 (usually due to the fact that you can have both embedded and linked assets in one project)

P.S. I think it’s easier for ‘Advanced’ users to uncheck this option during the setup process for the project than to force beginners to enable it manually.

3 Likes

Adding my 2 cents and a question to the discussion. I’m trying to use both options at the moment. Embedding images and hosting videos. When embedding video, autoplay works like a charm. When hosting video, autoplay is not working. @Norm any ideas why? :thinking:

EDIT: When the video bric is placed in a modal

Lighten up guys.

We all know a project directory workflow is the best way forward for any sizeable project.
…but embeded is great for little websites.

I haven’t checked this, but Flash used to offer the chance to update an asset if the original file was updated since the asset was added. Kind of the best of both worlds.

You guys might chuckle but my last Flash website went out of commission only when Adobe blocked the player, though I had nagged the client about switching to HTML for several years now.