I need help with code modification to send/submit form on PHP mailer

Hi all, I found in the forum that you are an expert in the field and really helpful.

If you do not mind, I would like to consult an issue that I have been facing for last few months. My form is not sending on my website: chfinance.co.uk. Blocs cannot support SMTP and I need to stick on PHP mailer to send/submit form.

My system provider (IONOS) had come back with the link below for the sample script for PHP mailer:

I have no idea how to use this information as they suggest me to check with Blocs as scripting beyond their scope of support. Unfortunately Norm said that they don’t offer support for customising the code Blocs generates, however, he would recommend posting in the Blocs community forum as other Blocs users may be able to offer guidance on making this code modification.

I wonder whether the experts here can help me. Thanks lots.

@Flashman @Eldar @Pealco @hendon52 @MartinC

You shouldn’t need any of this. Just using the standard Blocs contact form you can set the To address as anything you like in most cases, though some web hosts may insist it can only be sent to an address at the same domain as an anti spam measure.

The from address should be an email address from that domain or at least that web hosting account.

Add the to and from address then export and upload, but if you are still having issues I would go back to Ionos. I’ve used various servers and never had a problem, so I am always a bit perplexed when I see users doing backflips with additional scripts trying to make this work.

1 Like

:flushed: What ? :stop_sign: Please note: That your link is a fork (from 7 years ago) of another fork. Don’t use that.

:white_check_mark: If you do plan to use this, then please use the actual correct repository (linked below) which is active and getting updates and security patches. You might also want to pass on the same to IONOS if they sent you that link? I can’t imagine why they would suggest that old forked repository? :wink:

None of this makes Ionos look terribly good as a web host.

1 Like

I guess maybe they did provide that link to you IONOS actually has the same old link referenced on their support site?

I’m a bit shocked a German company or any of its subsidiaries would operate as such. But even more surprised that they can’t handle Blocs basic PHP form script?

It looks like @AdieJam was previously using 1&1 IONOS , so perhaps they can declare if the Blocs form worked for them?

@flashman and @Blocs_User thanks a lot for your comments.

It has been ongoing for over two months now and twice they only came back saying:
You can refer on the link below for the sample script.

I did mention the link is quite old (7 years ago) but they said nothing.

@flashman I did what you advised, I set the To address and From address at the same domain but no success. I went back to IONOS and only the link above was provided.

Thanks @Blocs_User to tag @AdieJAM to share his experience with 1&1 IONOS.

Anyway, is there anything else I can do to solve this issue? Which provider is better than 1&1 IONOS based upon your experience?

Thanks again. I really appreciate this.

I suspect there are many who are better than Ionos. The choice would depend to a large extent on budget and if you have a preference for where the site is hosted. Avoid GoDaddy. I tend to think that the really big names are only interested in huge volumes rather than providing a good service.

@clarkehendrik

Have you tried remaking the form? Because your form markup looks a little odd. The inputs have these crazy long IDs.

Did the form ever work?

Hi @clarkehendrik ,

First of all, I want to say what a lovely website you have - really nice.

No problem at all. I used IONOS (1&1) for many year and a few reasons why I moved, which is listed below and point 4 answering you issue.

1. I got into Live Streams and wanted a more hands on change for the server and 1&1 any server changes would take a few hrs for the changes to happen and other hosting companies wanted to move to another package to upscale, which was crazy! So I moved all to siteground as if a live stream looked like it was bigger than anticipated I can ad more CPU or Memory in instantly with the client giving me the green light to pay, and siteground have great autoscaling.

2. 1&1 would drop a cost on me for no reason! - they would randomly make up fee’s and hope out of the millions they have with them that they pay. It was something like they wanted £7 a month PHP support just incase i ever wanted to use older PHP! and they tried to backdate it 12 months so they billed me £84 for something I never had and it came out of my direct debit with no warning. I managed to get a refund but had to publicly shame them on Twitter to get noticed. These costs happen each year - so BE CAREFUL!!!

3. IONOS support was ok, but not great - I had a problem with a domain and all they wanted to do was upsell me another support package, rather than help me on the package I have an issue with. It was sell sell sell…and in the end I had enough.

4. As @Flashman has said - the form in Blocs worked fine as it was supposed to be. Not sure if you are using the same email as it is from your domain name?

I am not sure if this has any effect of not having the SSL certificate!!?

My personal view would be to pull out of 1&1 - they are good, but seem to be very unethical, its a very simple process - I can not recommend Siteground more than enough. They have a basic monthly package of £2.99 a month for now, but when its renewal time they will do a good deal again. Web Hosting Crafted For Top Website Performance & Speed - SiteGround

@flashman @PeteSharp @AdieJAM

Thank you very much for your comments and advice.

@Flashman I am considering to change provider soon. Shall make further research on reliable ones. Thanks again.

@PeteSharp I have not tried remaking the form. So far the form never worked. I will do it right now and hope it works. What do you mean the inputs have crazy long IDs?

@AdieJAM Thanks for your nice words on my website.

1. I should learn further from the experts like you all. Looks like you are quite satisfied with Siteground.
  2. I should be careful about this. I need to check my previous bills whether it is also the same case with my account or not.
  3. I can fully understand this point as I feel the same and every time I contacted them to follow up the same issue, different person handled it with same link from their web without further research.
  4. I use the same email as it is from my domain. I also face the same issue with my another website that has SSL certificate, so I do not think not having the SSL certificate is related with this issue.
    Thanks again for your recommendation. I shall check it.

I had some issues with the standard form in Blocs too. Thanks to the suggestions of a few members here I found out that my web host was causing the problems. when I contacted them they suggested I should use a SMTP mail form. To make a long story short: I went to a different provider with all my websites and all my problems were solved.
If you really want to stick to your host and still want to use a neat webform; I can highly recommend easyforms!

1 Like