Index.html to home.html

Guys my website’s home page shows www…/index.html and I wanna change that to home. How can I do that?

Thanks in advance

Why do you want to do that (leaving out all comments why you shouldn’t and why not possible)?

1 Like

I want the website to wwww.thewebsite.com/home I dont find www.thewebsite.com/index professional that’s why

It’s not more professional. index.html is the default home page, but better still tick the export option for clean urls and lose that suffix entirely. You will end up with page links like example.com and example.com/about. This is a far cleaner and more professional option.

5 Likes

Thanks man !

I should choose clean page url’s right?

Yes that is correct. You will notice that each web page will then be exported now as a folder with an index.html file inside. This is correct and not something to be concerned about.

Awesome :pray:t3: Thanks for taking your time and helping me out :raised_hands:

Just one thought is that I now set pages to php by default. There is nothing wrong with html, however php has greater flexibility. You might find some point in the future when php is required, therefore I just set it now from the start. There is arguably a very small performance penalty with php, but if you have a typical Blocs site without a database like you find in WordPress and huge traffic I very much doubt that will ever be a problem.

2 Likes

Thank you for this information. I’m new to this why choose php over html? Do I have more options in blocs with php?

It may well be that you just want a simple website with no bells & whistles, in which case html page types are absolutely fine, however you may want custom brics or coding at some stage that requires php to perform specific tasks, so simply adopting it now means you wouldn’t have to change it at a later date.

One key advantage of clean urls is that the visitor doesn’t have to define one or the other and it will automatically arrive in the right place. If you had stuck with index.html then switched to php it would have caused problems with incoming traffic from bookmarks hitting 404 not found errors, unless you also set up 301 redirects.

If you might end up using a CMS like Volt I would choose clean urls and php pages already by default. I use Volt with various client sites and I’m looking forward to see how it progresses.

2 Likes

Thank you for explaining it and again thanks for your time. I will ask one more question is it php or js that adds functions to a website?

I guess the simple answer to that would be both or either, but in different ways. I am clueless with coding, yet somehow manage to get by producing websites for clients using Blocs.

You can build a great looking site in Blocs, then pages can be exported as either html or php. When you visit the site online pages will look identical, however in certain scenarios you may need to use php. If you really want to stick with html it’s very easy switching to php later on.

I don’t know how familiar you are with Blocs, but @Eldar and @PeteSharp have both produced several video tutorials that might help you.

5 Likes

@Eldar course is a great place to get started!

2 Likes

yes I watched few his videos he is great

I know Eldar and I have used Wordpress before I mean I need some functions and blocs is not there to provide them yet hence I thought I would learn some coding to help myself