Is there any way to "nest" pages into groups in the project map view?

Thank you, Adrian

1 Like

Nope, but it’s on the wishlist!

This I really want now, it’s been mentioned a lot! I have a few websites with a lot of pages on a folder, so for example one page could say Entertainment and then I have say 30 pages for acts on it. I would love those 30 pages to all be in the entertainment section.

But will make it all so smooth and everything sit where its supposed to sit.

Could be something simple like what I have done below where the + icon shows more pages are inside here (you simply drag in like you create a folder on an iPhone) but more magic happens! the URL changes too (Yes I know we can do this in custom URLs which I do, but to drag a page in and the URL auto changes is what we need)

We could take it further and offer an and extra folder too !!! see my example below. Nestling of 2 folders will be perfect a my example for so many of us…
@Norm can you get your magic wand out and start the magic !?

Example URLs

/entertainment (main folder)
./entertainment/singers (click + and BOOM!)
…/entertainment/singers/ladygoogoo
…/entertainment/singers/reborn-norm
./entertainment/bands
./entertainment/DJs

1 Like

Im just playing with Blocs at the moment to see if it would be good for my 1150 page site that is choking with my current pc based authoring tool.

I can see having all 1150 (eventually 2000) pages in non nested view being painful to manage when it comes time for edits, corrections, changes.

The rest of Blocs looks ok…

It’s been on many wish lists for some time and not for lack of requests either.

It’s most likely only going to happen in a major release, and it’s probably complicated. But hopefully Blocs 6 brings us this essential feature.

It’s worth mentioning that you can already do this manually using page settings - custom URLs.

https://help.blocsapp.com/knowledge-base/page-settings/#path

Only current limitation is the fact you can’t have multiple matching page names, regardless of URL.

But there is no drag and drop visual management way to do this.

The page navigator is probably not the best place to visually manage such a task. Something that closer resembles a layer tree but for the entire site structure makes more sense.

Thats is one HUGE site !!! I have know websites this size and bigger being in Wordpress but never seen a site out of Wordpress this size! I am guessing a lot of repeat style pages with content?

I would love to see the navigation on a site of this size for users to find pages quick. Is it sales?

Maybe use Blocs to create a theme and bring it into Wordpress - best of both worlds then.

1 Like

Yeah. Extreme for a static site builder. Usually this is in the realms of a CMS.

Manually setting up URLs as we currently have becomes a chore once you get to even a reasonable number of pages. Let alone finding a page with a long drop-down.

3 Likes

Yeah this does work great.

If I have say a page advertising Lighting, then I create all my lighting pages/products with the word lighting in the path (or folder as I think of it as) and everything nestles in that nicely. Nice and tidy.

@Norm - But if say dragging a page into the Lighting page, couldn’t it be made so this automatically changes the URL for that folder by adding the /lighting/ before it…is this a possibility…i’d love to see something like this in the future, but the path naming of URLs is a brilliant step forward.

1 Like

Yes a product sales site for our company manufactured items.

My experience with CMS is that they dont perform well for google, your buried product never sees the light of being indexed.

Each landing page has a unique descriptive url and google has almost all our items indexed.

So cms for ordering, but static pages for finding.

Adrian

My mind immediately thought of many users accidentally dragging a page into another and it changing the url :sweat_smile:

But I appreciate the simplicity, it needs to be handled with care to make sure it doesn’t make things more complicated. Right now it’s really hard to accidentally change a page url.

Yeah! I can imagine some people doing this…but maybe if a pop up says: WARNING = you are adding a page to a the /lighting/ page would you like to continue YES | NO

Yep :joy:

File tree would be cool though.

I’ve got a project that I have to maintain that predates the URL thing. And with over 60 pages I’m not going to go through each page manually adding urls especially with no easy way to visually check. Drag and drop. Yes. Ideally this project needs a proper URL structure.

2 Likes

Every time you move a page would get annoying.

Im sure some users would also want a way to organise pages, but only in the design environment. So you could argue there is scope for a way to organise for design/building and export.

Lockable pages and / or folders?

Most apps use file trees without this being a significant issue.

Although sometimes I have fun dragging stuff into the right nested position in the Blocs layer tree. Especially if I forget my glasses. A vertical line clue would help :joy:

1 Like

Adobe :nauseated_face: Muse managed it nicely when I was using that. Used to have a folder of pages for each dropdown, very handy for navigating to them to work on, so it’s most definitelya doable thing.