Local web development using MAMP etc

You are always coming through answering our question in detail. :smile: The value you bring here is so cool! Thank you so much.

@Pealco beside being free is there a real difference in XAMPP & MAPM?

Mamp (not pro) is also free. Limitation is that you are only able to create one host (localhost). The pro version gives you the possibility of creating multiple virtual hosts.

1 Like

Has anyone put this the task?

1 Like

I was just having a small issue with MAMP, so I went to the website and surprise, surprise version 6 is available MAMP PRO - Your local web development solution

I’m going to try this now.

3 Likes

I wonder what the difference is?
I certainly cannot locate it on their website.

I am just playing with it now, but remember my knowledge of the last version was fairly limited, so it’s hard for me to say if the changes are meaningful or largely cosmetic. General first impression is that it’s more polished and helpful than before. There is an option to toggle between and standard and expert mode.

When creating a database it also offers more options than before. When creating a WP database it asked for an email address, which wasn’t the case before. Adding an SSL certificate no long produced the annoying Safari message saying it’s not valid in the test I just did.

1 Like

Nice reply to my question, thank you

Here is a list of what is new:

https://mampsupportforum.com/forums/categories/general-forum/mamp-pro-v6-0-released-2020-10-13

2 Likes

I don’t understand half of what those are, but thanks for the link.

For those who just want an “eco” environment, use the native php version of OSX

Open it on a terminal: php -S 127.0.0.1:8080 or php -S localhost:8080 for example.

If you need to point on a particular folder says public: php-S 127.0.0.1:8080 -t public

You can also install locally a mysql database & work on it on your browser with “phpmyadmin”

I’ve added it to my ‘Christmas wish list’.

I use MAMP and ServBay. But MAMP doesn’t have the latest PHP version, ServBay includes the latest one.