macOS 12 Monterey

Yeah, me too. :grin: Always summer here :smiley: :sunny: :sunglasses: :desert_island: :palm_tree:

2 Likes

Installed Monterey just now and too early to know much but first impressions are that it seems smoother running on my intel mini.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be updating very shortly too.

Safari has gone back to proper tabs. Oh tears of joy.

Yeah. It was all online the other day that Apple had given up and reverted.

Iā€™ve been running it on my laptop during beta, there is definitely an speed up in the interface animations in Blocs. Opening the Bloc and Bric bars is way smoother.

1 Like

Classic ā€œDownloading nowā€ post.

Then that moment you realise youā€™re not actually connected to the lan, and the WiFi router is on the other side of the house and youā€™re getting a 3mb connection for a 12gb download.

1 Like

That seems to be the case here as well. Something else I have noticed is that the cpu operating temperatures are generally several degrees lower on this intel compared to Big Sur. I want to check out some of the new Monterey features soon.

The new IP relay didnā€™t work at first then kicked in after going back to iCloud a second time.

1 Like

Im am having trouble with the IP relay with sites not loading. Had the same issue on the iPad. Still very much in beta in my experience with it.

Other than that the OS seems very smooth.

Just upgraded to Monterey on my M1 Mac mini. Took about 1/2 hour to complete. So far, all working well, including Blocs. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

MacOS Monterey has a serious font cache problem, all Apple apps (TextEdit, Keynote, Pages, ā€¦), donā€™t show the actual font name (in the fontmenus) anymore, instead they show LastResort glyphs instead of the actual font and family names. Non Apple Apps behave normally (e.g. Affinity apps). So for some reason the glyphs cannot be displayed and are replaced by the LastResort font glyphs. The fonts are all there (active and selectable), but the names are not displayed correctly.

Iā€™ve already cleared all of the font caches, but nothing seems to help, but if I quit my third party fontmanager (e.g. RightFont, Typeface app, ā€¦) and use Appleā€™s Font Book instead (of course I have to reinstall all the fonts in Font Book), the problem is gone, unfortunately I donā€™t want to use Font Book, but unfortunately I have to, it seems. I didnā€™t do a clean install (iMac 2019, Catalina > Big Sur > Monterey).
Pre-installed and system fonts are not affected

Here some screenshots from TextEdit and Keynote, but it also happens in Pages and Numbers.

Iā€™m facing the same challenges. Iā€™m using Font Explorer and it pretty much messes up all. Newly added fonts are not showing up. Even not when installed directly into Appleā€™s font book.

If you come across a website with Comic Sans :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: itā€™s most likely from me as itā€™s one of the few still working nicely. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

This is very helpful, thank you for making everyone aware of this issue.
I donā€™t plan to move to Monterey for several monthsā€¦I usually wait for a .5 or .6 update.
As Apple updates Monterey, and you apply those updates, perhaps you could come back and let us know if it resolves this issue?
Anyone else who updated see this?
Same for you Jerryā€¦Hopefully Apple is aware?

Rich

1 Like

Also, people working with Soap UI against API endpoints might need to be aware that Soap UI is prone to random crashes under Monterey.

Not seeing any problems with my fonts. I checked TextEdit, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers apps. Not using any 3rd party font apps. What are some named fonts that are giving problems?

Same here. Everythingā€™s fine.

@pruthe All user installed fonts are showing up like mentioned before. All pre-installed and system fonts are showing up normally. But like I said, if I also donā€™t use a 3rd party font manager and just use appleā€™s font book, everything is fine.