Need to create a website with +/- 66 videos

Thanks everyone for the response. :+1:

What I’ve already done :grinning::
Have used handbrake software and have already compressed 19 videos with it. The result of the 3.38 GB is 929.1 MB, so a huge reduction.
For the videos presentation uses Any Video (excellent Bric from @PeteSharp ) (Tip from @Jerry ), this allows me to insert a url, put all the videos on the server in separate folder. (Tips from @Mattheus and @Flashman). Hopefully this will improve the loading speed of the page. Have to wait and see because the website is still in preview and not all pages are ready.

5 Likes

Hi Eriks,

to answer better your question it would be good to get more information:

1- what is the website for?
2- why is there 66 videos on one page?
3- what is the one which will play the most? I suppose not all videos have to load at the same time but just on request
4- what are the resolutions of the play target systems? Do you target mobile, PC, tablet, …?
This could be useful to determine the best codec and resolution to encode in.

There are many ways to host videos nowadays but it would be good to know why your customer don’t want youtube. And what he wants of the video hosting plateform. This way you can check the many available to see the one matching your criteria.

Hosting 66 videos on the web server used to serve the site is not that a great idea as they consume lots of bandwidth and CPU power. This is best handled by a third party host: rumble, bitchute, archive.org, … Search for alternatives to youtube, there are many but you can only find what you’ve defined as solution.

1 Like

@eriks

Did you use the settings you showed as image at the start of this thread?

question:
What (ca.) SETTINGS for VIDEO COMPRESSION are good values in handbrake?

use case:
videos will be watched on desktop as well as tablet and smartphone.

where:
The videos are probably going to be hosted on Vimeo or Wistia.

I assume it will make sense to compress the videos before uploading to Vimeo?
Will Vimeo adjust the compression on its own when the videos are being watched on smaller devices???
Does anybody have experience with Vimeo vs. Wistia?

handbrake vs. Adobe ?
I know image compression (and can only recommend ImageOptim by the way) and with images one has to try and decide how „far“ down the compression can be done before the quality gets to bad.
While I often heard of handbrake, I wonder if other programs do a better job with this quality - data size ratio?

Which apps would do a comparable compression?
something in the Adobe suite?
Is video compression in FINAL CUT included?

Did anybody test to compress the exact same video to the same SIZE with different apps and: is the quality noticeably different?
Which pogram does it best when it is really important to get the lowest data size as possible?

Thank you in advance :smiley:

Sorry for the late reaction.
@Ms_Sun Yes just like the image.

1 Like