Preview mode is slow

I am developing a very large site that will eventually have over 500 pages and ~2500 hosted images. As I am building the site I’ve noticed that Preview mode has gotten very slow. From the time I click on the play arrow until the page comes up it takes over 2 minutes. Is there anything that can be done to make this quicker (other than the obvious–reduce the site size)?

For a site this size I would advise against using embedded assets.

Also I’m hoping to make some more refinements for larger project handling soon.

It would be interesting to know if there are any custom brics or coding you are using that might be having some impact on the preview speed. This would be particularly worth knowing if it applied globally.

1 Like

The major slow down with export/preview is writing the assets to the export location. Especially big videos or height res images

Thanks Norm. The images are all less than 100 Kb, most around 75. Maybe I need a faster MBP!

The images are all using the standard img bric. There are a few using image overlay. I use a lot of html tables (close to 400 and counting).

Being a newbie, I am not sure if the assets are embedded or not. When I click on Assets in the top menu, I get two choices: Import Assets and Embed All Assets in Project. So I assume they are not embedded now.

When you create a new project in Blocs, embedded assets are enabled by default, unless you deliberately disable them.

Personally I avoid embedded assets, however it’s probably useful on balance for most new users of smaller sites, who might otherwise lose assets before they become more organised.

This can be disabled inside project settings under the general tab, however you will then need to reconnect each image manually to the destination from the asset manager. On a site that size I would definitely avoid having embedded images, especially if they are hosted online.

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 08.34.12

Blocs is pretty efficient in terms of hardware demands for page previews and exporting sites, though I am expecting everything to be faster when I eventually buy a silicon computer. It was actually slow page previews in Rapidweaver that originally brought me over to Blocs.

Thanks! I’m thinking for my next big site I will do this, but with the existing site reconnecting the images is pretty much out of the question, time-wise. Your advice is much appreciated.

1 Like