Search ability in Blocs

I am pretty new to Blocs so I do need some advice and input from fellow members. I am working on a site that will feature about 180 products. I can add keywords for each product such as product name, product description etc. that can be used by the search engine.

So if a user knows the name or description word of a product and enters it, I’d like the results to be displayed in a simple but presentable list format. It would be nice if the results can be formatted e.g. Font, size and light shading behind every alternative line for that clean, organised and visually appealing orientation. Once an item is selected within the search, it takes the user to the product page.

I’ve noticed that there are only 2 search brics listed in the Blocs store: Site Search ($30) and Search ($15). Which bric is better suited to my needs or better overall?

Any sites out there using these brics so I can see how they work and present results?

I haven’t used the Search bric, but I have used Site Search on some of my websites before. I have also did a review about it, so if you haven’t already watch it below. It’s for Blocs 3, but it works exactly the same in Blocs 4.

Site Search bric scans the keywords you put into your Page SEO, and shows you the results based on that. So, to make it work with your website, you will have to create a page for each of your product. (maybe that’s not what you really want).

Cheers,
Eldar

1 Like

@Eldar - hope you are well my friend. Thank you for your input and help, went through your video (excellent as usual).

I have about 180 products, each product will have it’s own page. Speaking of that, since every product page will have exactly the same format, I wish there was a bric that enables the creation of a simple database. So I would then create one product page layout template with different fields (image of product, name of product, description and PDF leaflet). Then that same page would be populated with the right information from the database when someone clicks on the product from a list or menu. That would be so efficient! - sorry to deviate from the main topic but you may know how to resolve this.

Ok, back to the search issue - So ideally, I will end up having a page for every product but several products may have the same name, for example: Obsidian Blue, Obsidian Red, Obsidian Silver. So if I search for Obsidian then the search engine needs to present 3 results in a nice presentable list format so that I can choose the right version. Once, I choose the right version e.g. Obsidian Silver, it should take me to that particular product page.

1 Like

@PeteSharp - Any suggestions Pete?

I suspect that the best option for you is a database. I was faced with this problem quite a few years ago and I solved it using Ecwid. It does everything you ask for including categories, sorting, searching etc.
Now you don’t say if you are selling your products online but that doesn’t matter. My client didn’t want to sell online so I implimented Ecwid in “catalogue” mode. Way back this was an option, I’m not sure if it still is, however by just removing all the “buy now” buttons, cart links etc. it does the same thing. The real bonus would be you only need one Blocs page and all the rest would be done in Ecwid. I hope this helps or maybe offers alternative thinking.

4 Likes

@Samazar, Site Search can do this for you:

Styling of the search box can be done in the class manager.

3 Likes

I have been using Ecwid on a website recently and your right - the search inside it is brilliant.

1 Like

Thank you David, there will be no online sales. However, all the products appear on the website for informational purposes only. My idea was to design a single template for the products and them have all the products appear in a clean and consistent manner. For example product image to the left and product title and details to the right. I would have to duplicate this page about 180 times in Blocs and then populate each page with the relevant information which is a bit monotonous but possible. Members here have mentioned that they have worked with big sites and I hope it will not be a problem.

I was wondering if there is a bric or code that allows simple database functionality locally in order to avoid having 180 pages in a Blocs file. So it would be a single product page that changes dynamically based on what product is called upon. This would be complemented by a simple but functional search engine that lists all the possible options for the user to select which would then pull up the right product for display.

Thank you for letting me know about Ecwid, very useful to know. I will read about it a bit more. Does that mean I’d have to create my portfolio of products on Ecwid? - not something I am keen to do as I’d like to keep all resources local.

Thank you Jerry, very kind and thoughtful of you to take the time to illustrate it in such a clear and concise manner. Actually, that makes a lot of sense as the list of possible options appears at the bottom dynamically for the use to select. I like the simplicity.

Can the predicted list be longer e.g. 10 items or even 15 items?

Any instructions, manual or videos pertaining to the styling of the search box in the class manager.

Have you compared Site Search to Search? - does Search have any advantages?

1 Like

Ecwid looks like a great product / service. I will definitely look into it more. Seems ideal for online selling.

Yes. The content dropdown can be styled. I can’t tell you the maximum length.

No.

@Jerry - I really appreciate the ‘Site Search’ demo that you prepared showing the 3 options that show up as soon as you type Obsidian. I suppose that list of options could go to 5 at least. Any idea if it can go to 10? Could you kindly try for me please?

Hence keep 'Obsidian" but add a few more colours.

@Norm - Your input will be appreciated

I’ll send you a quote if you want it tonight :rofl: If tomorrow is fine it will be a free forum deal! :free:

1 Like

In that case tomorrow is fine :rofl:

Hi @Samazar, the standard search field will show you 9 results on screen with a scroll for the additional. You could make te results block bigger with a custom class if you wish.

1 Like

You missed out on a good deal @Samazar, I think @Jerry’s rates are better than mine :sunglasses::joy:

2 Likes

Thank you Jerry, that is perfect for my use case. You are a whizz indeed my friend :nerd_face:

Need to work hard and make loads of muhas before I can even begin to afford you guys so keep the friendly and helpful attitude until then :rofl:

1 Like

@Jerry @PeteSharp - Hi Jerry / Pete, the site search idea (bric) that you presented has inspired me to try building a smart input form.

I need to create a page that has an input form. The input form needs to allow the visitor to specify item(s) using 3 fields. Example:-

Product name | Ingredient | Quantity | + -

The user may wish to add more than one item in which case they can press on the + or - buttons to either add or remove an additional set of input fields to either add or delete an item.

Please note: The ‘Ingredient’ form input field specified above needs to present a list of suggestions as the user is typing. I note that Blocs has input field brics but is there a bric that allows me to incorporate a text input field that presents suggestions as one types. The suggestions are picked from information or a list that we have pre-entered.

1 Like