Search bar

WAH!!! Please include this on 2.4 I want to capability so badly :frowning: Long due request heheā€¦ I saw this and posted it here before, Tipue 404 is there anyway to add this function on Blocs App. Iā€™m not a coder or developer just a designer so I donā€™t know how to implement thisā€¦ haha. @Norm

I wish I had time to. Unfortunately Iā€™ll be spending the next month just getting whats in 2.4 already working correctly.

@mackyangeles & @JDW

For those whom donā€™t wish to implement it themselves or the other frameworks also mentioned above, the Free & Opensource - Tipuesearch, is now available as a $15 Custom Bric integrated into Blocs by @Lucas posted about here in its own thread.

1 Like

Hi,

I did a quick test and tutorial with/for TipueSearch a year ago.

DEMO

I donā€™t want take light away from any custom bric but for those who want to add TipuSearch manually hereā€™s the tutorial.

Tutorial for Blocs

Cheers / Johny

1 Like

Beggars canā€™t be choosy. Then again this is $15, so we arenā€™t beggars and so I shall proceed to give my honest review of it.

Itā€™s better than nothing. However, itā€™s not great. I tried searching for ā€œheadā€ on that DEMO site and it came up with no results, even though on the About page you will find the word ā€œheading.ā€ I also tried searching for ā€œjazā€ but no results appeared, even though the word jazzy appears on the top page.

This is very important. Why? Because Iā€™ve been using site search for YEARS on my Freeway sites, and I can tell you that most people do not take time to type in complete words and sometimes they misspell too. But thatā€™s not a problem for Google Custom Search (which is what I use now in my Freeway sites), nor was it an issue years ago when I used Atomz Search.

All said, if TipueSearch improves itā€™s search, I would consider it worth the asking price. Again, it is better than nothing, and it may serve some people well. But until it is intelligent enough to put 2-and-2 together and figure out that a search for ā€œjazā€ should should show all pages in the site where the word ā€œjazzyā€ appears, itā€™s an incomplete search feature.

Thanks!

@Lucas has just released his amazing Search Bric as mentioned in this thread:

It takes care of everything so you donā€™t need to waste your time trying to integrate TipueSearch. Looks like a great time saver to me.

If you want search itā€™s a shortcut to get it into your Blocs site :slight_smile:

1 Like

You appear to be talking about something different from the DEMO mentioned above, but you didnā€™t comment on how well the Search feature you suggest works. As I said, the DEMO page search above doesnā€™t work if you donā€™t spell the word precisely as is used in the site, which will limit the usefulness of the search. Does the alternative search you recommend do that?

Do you have a link to a DEMO for us to try ourselves?

Thanks.

Hi @JDW , youā€™re right it doesnā€™t 't seem to be able to search unless you write the full word.
Iā€™ve never used this myself, it was just an old test to see how it could be implemented into Blocs.
And i agree, a site search should be able to search partially typed words.

Cheers

1 Like

@JDW

Obviously @Lucas read the comments here when seeing he liked @pulsecms comment above.

It looks like his custom bric has since been updateed, implementing misspellings via the ā€œtipuesearch_replaceā€ for misspelled searches. I didnā€™t look to see if either is implemented but there is also ā€œtipuesearch_stemā€ and the ā€œwholeWordsā€ boolean, along with various other options/features available via tipuesearch.

I would suggest you instead post your feedback and suggestions in that custom bric thread, if its something you are possibly interested in using or wish to see improved further in ways.

1 Like

Yep I noticed here on the comments about the replace feature that indeed was missing from my custom bric. Stemming will also be added in a future update.

1 Like