Sizing an image

Hi all:

Rookie question here:

If I wanted to put my own image inside this Bloc:

Who can tell me how I should go about figuring out how to size the image so it will fit?

Thanks everyone

Rich the Weather Guy

Click on the image and you should see the size of the original device image in the side panel. Crop your own image to the same dimensions.

1 Like

Will take a look at that Flashā€¦

Thank you!

Rich the Weather Guy

When the image is selected you can also see in blue writing along the bottom of the image Recommended size.

You know Pete, when I click on the image I see a blue border, and the blue flag at the top ā€œIMGā€ but I donā€™t see a size anywhere.
I di see the size where Flash mentioned it was. Why I didnā€™t see that is beyond me?!?!?

Rich the Weather Guy

Been playing with this for the better part of an hour now. Canā€™t see to change an image size to fit? I have Blocs Plus, that doesnā€™t see to alter the size even when I punch in the size I want it to be. Just plugging in random numbers to see ANY kind of change doesnā€™t seem to work.
My understanding, working with images is severely lacking.

Will try and edit the image in something elseā€¦

Rich the Weather Guy

I opened the image in Affinity Photo and resizedā€¦THAT ACTUALLY worked.

So now Iā€™d like to understand why I could not resize that image in Blocs Plus?
Anyone have a clue as to what I was doing wrong?

Thanks again

Rich the Weather Guy

1 Like

Preparing an image with the right ratio is the way to do it.

I get that the image should be ready to use, more or lessā€¦OKā€¦I screenshot most of the images I useā€¦so, if you would, please explain how I should be capturing the images and what I should be doing with them, prior to using them?
Would be extremely helpfulā€¦

Thanks

Rich the Weather Guy

Hi @WeatherguyNH, I would say the way youā€™ve just done this one is the way to go.
Itā€™s always better to resize in a dedicated photo programme rather than rely on something not made for the job- in my experience anyway.
I realise itā€™s an extra step, but worth it for the hassle - oh, and then I run through imageoptim afterwards just to wring a few more bytes out of it!

Just to add, thereā€™s an option to start a new file ā€˜from clipboardā€™ in Affinity Photo which takes away the step of opening a new document, pasting etc.

2 Likes

Thanks Trevā€¦will take a look at the Affinity options, incorporate into my workflow.
I have a couple of apps that, I think, are like IO? I have Squash, and another called Photoshrinkr.
I admit, I have not used these very much at all.
Time for this old dog to learn some new tricks I guess.

Thank you!

Rich the Weather Guy

1 Like

Thanks Hendon, I finally found it!

Rich the Weather Guy

Yes, I believe so. Iā€™ve used Squash before and found it very good.
Having been an Adobe user for longer than I can remember, the pandemic pretty much killed my graphics business (hence now the pet portraits!), so I cancelled the Adobe subscription on renewal and went the Affinity route. Their versions of Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator (especially!) have their quirks and frustrations, but I find they get me to where I want eventually, normally double the time it would have taken me previously.
I believe it may be my problem and not theirs, with having so many years of knowing how to do things in Adobe and having to change - worth a bit more of an in depth look though.
All the best, and have a good weekend.

Thanks again. I used Dreamweaver years ago, but was EXTREMELY happy to drop ALL Adobe apps and move on.

Rich the Weather Guy