TEXTSNIPER - Capture any text from your Mac's screen

Hello all,

Just want to share with you an app I acquire today, and works very well, and is in Launch Promo now…

(I’m not earning anything so if you don’t want to press the link just search in google for TEXTSNIPER)

Explanations from the website:

“TextSniper is a super useful app to quickly capture unselectable text. Use it to capture and recognize text from presentations, trainings, screencasts,images, pictures, webpages, video tutorials, photos, PDFs etc. Literally from anywhere on your mac’s screen. TextSniper makes it super easy with a single keyboard shortcut convert text from screenshot into editable text. Incredibly fast and useful app.”

LINK

Just a share…

3 Likes

Oh I saw that App mentioned on MacRumours the other day.

I assume it works well, since your sharing it.

1 Like

Very very well let me put a video sharing the app working:

“TextSniper is a super useful app to quickly capture unselectable text. Use it to capture and
recognize text from presentations, trainings, screencasts,images, pictures, webpages, video
tutorials, photos, PDFs etc. Literally from anywhere on your mac’s screen. TextSniper makes it
super easy with a single keyboard shortcut convert text from screenshot into editable text.
Incredibly fast and useful app.”

SCREEN

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip @Pealco. Directly purchased the app. $5 is a bargain for a handy tool like this.

1 Like

Does it have some means of storing a history of previously copied text with easy access to paste somewhere? If it can do that and also strip out styling to make plaintext this becomes really interesting.

I use iclipp app.

Textsniper looks good but it’s Catalina onwards and I’m not swimming with that pack yet.

1 Like

I don’t see any settings to save multiple clipboards. You can paste into a word doc and change the formatting. Still, that’s really useful. I tested a bunch of text on images and it works great. Could be a nice time saver.

Casey

1 Like

I just bought it too. Wow, very quick at taking text from an image. Very cool.

1 Like

I grabbed it earlier. Seems pretty good as long as the font isn’t too fancy. No history unfortunately. This should be useful the next time I ask a client to send me some code and they send a screenshot instead.

2 Likes

If you scroll down on their website, there is email for sending in feature requests. Send one in.

1 Like

It looks like OwlOCR might of went on sale $9, maybe due to the TextSniper release.

Norm, I bet both TextSniper & OwlOCR use Tesseract macOS. In case you get bored and wanna make another app someday. :laughing:

1 Like

:thinking: Oh my mistake it looks like OwlOCR is using Apple’s Vision Framework so perhaps TextSniper is also. But Tesseract is well known and that Tesseract macOS looks nice.

If I read both those sites right, it looks like OwlOCR has lifetime updates, while TextSniper you pay for major updates.

That could just mean a lifetime license for the major version you bought. Ive seen this happen a lot these days??

Apple’s Vision Framework look interesting, so makes you wonder why Apple haven’t got this rolled out as a feature of Grab Screenshot already?

1 Like

TextSniper is explicit about their statements, but yes I don’t know if OwlOCR’s use of lifetime is as it appears, nothing much is these days. Edit: even on the Apple App Store it says Lifetime License for OwlOCR for the pro version $9. So I think that lifetime statement is indeed factual.

I see people post images of code all the time on code related sites - ugh stop the insanity.

1 Like

Hey guys, I’m the developer of OwlOCR. “Lifetime license” was primarily meant to indicate that you can use app without subscription like finite term. The idea is to keep improving this still, I got a nice update in the pipeline for Big Sur.

With OwlOCR you can give the app a go without paying anything, all the basic features like screen-grabbing are free.

Premium primarily makes working with larger docs or multiple images more convenient. And of course it’s a way to support the application. :slight_smile:

Let me know if you have questions; happy to answer. Don’t want to hijack the TextSniper thread too much though, just noticed some discussion about OwlOCR so thought I’d chip in.

3 Likes

Welcome @tommi, thanks for flying by and discussing OwlOCR.

1 Like

I just tried this with a screenshot of some code sent by a client. Perhaps it didn’t help that the text was pale grey from Facebook, however there were some errors. It seems to struggle in cases where you have a line with just a few characters.

On one line it just had }; which was interpreted by TextSniper as 1:

On another line it had '; which was missed entirely.

If any of you are using TextSniper it may be worth visiting their site through the updates button in the app preferences to check for updates. Mine was still stuck on 1.3 and I just discovered that the current version is 1.7. It hadn’t been checking for updates since August of last year…

1 Like

Thank you @Flashman I was in 1.5 after you refer to this now I have 1.7. Many thanks…