The Affinity Suite - thoughts?

It’s a simple choice to make. It’s a no-brainer, particularly when you consider the cost of the market leader.

For all you Windows 10 / 11 users this is a warning it is not not easy to install. The download file is MSIX and so far after 2 hours of reading and chatting Affinity is still not installed.
Why they could not use the simple EXE, app or MSI is beyond me. I found so many complaining, very upset users, in their own forum.

@KBConcepts have you tried downloading from the Windows Store instead of directly from Serif?

I would say most users here are Mac anyway.

I’ve downloaded all the one’s I could from their download links that came with the purchase.
What is interesting though I can not get the Installer App, even when I am logged in to MS.

I’ve gone and done it! A quick play around and yes, very nice upgrade indeed, and for the price, very much worth it.

1 Like

Yes, I can confirm that, unfortunately there is no way to export Affinity 2 documents (except as a pdf) that they can still be opened in Affinty 1. This is of course a bummer when you work with several people and some of them have not (yet) installed the update. But, that’s the way it is. So yeah, Affinity 1 is dead.

Just my humble opinion. I have used Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher since version 1.

Affinity have just released version 2. You can watch the videos on all 3.

Your timing is great because Serif are offering a universal license on all 3 for 40% discount ie

You can use all 3 on Windows, Mac & iPad for about $90 £90.

They do have a trial so you can decide.

It’s great value!

1 Like

Yes, I think the trial period is two weeks.

Hi Roz, as I said, I’ve been using Affinity V1, but just found it a bit clumsy. I have however, made the jump to V2 and quite enjoying the short play-time I’ve had with it so far.

Basically - I don’t want to use Adobe anymore and I’m happy with the learning curve!

2 Likes

I had some serious problems getting the V2 thru AppleStore, I was charged but had to log in using differet ID and for 2 days they were unable to link the Apple payment with their account. I ended up asking refund as I could not use the software. Bummer. I need good masking tool and lately was using Pixelmator which to me is far more superior. I was hoping for some easy AI masking tools updates, but Affinity photo did not deliver on this part and UI enhancements are just not enough. Not much in V2 for me I guess.

I bought V2 direct from Affinity and they email you a key. When you download the app from the appstore you can then register it with Affinity - it’s very easy, so I have no idea what went wrong.

I have different ID on AppStore and other on the Serif account. Did sent them bank slip with purchase confirmation as well as AppStore print out with transaction ID, they could not find it. It was really strange and we did exchanged quitee a few emails. Either way I will give it some time and will try within a week or so.

I also have a different ID on the appstore and infinity, but sailed through regardless.

Affinity v2 is out and I downloaded the whole package.
Thanks to the contributors on this topic, I’m (quite) ready to do the big jump.

I remember years ago, when Adobe InDesign released v1. I was an expert in Quark Xpress and could not make the switch. It was too time-consuming and difficult or costly to convert a 100 pages Xpress file to InDesign. I finally did the switch a few years later it when I changed job and became freelance.

If I tell you this is because my last hesitation is about all the jobs I have done with InDesign: Will they open nicely and precisely in Publisher ? Is IDML format exactly the same as IND ? I do yearly publications for clients and I’m scared that I would have to rebuild them in Publisher.

Any experience specifically with InDesign versus Publisher ?
Thanks.

I had the original Affinity Suite and I just removed this and bought the whole Affinity Suite 2 and stopped all my Adobe packages, which I rarely used to be fair.

So far I have just designed a small advert for a client and its great.

Buy quick guys !..or save your money for Blocs !

Affinity are offering the 40% off until 14th Dec, so those who signed up for the 30 day trial can kick the tyres some…

It’s a no brainier to grab the universal license though.

https://twitter.com/affinitybyserif/status/1592139975918690305?s=61&t=UWgqvA3iYUgWmZOhjetQPQ

By the way you don’t have to remove V1 to have V2 installed. I’ve kept v1 as I collaborate with some who use affinity as well, who haven’t updated and they won’t be able to open version 2 files. This is just for historic work.

2 Likes

So I never had any problems.

All (and I had many) idml files opened in publisher with no problems (with all text styles, paragraph format settings, etc.). But, right now I can’t tell you which version of InDesign I used back then (it’s been a few years ago). I had concerns too, but had no choice at the time because I needed to upgrade my Mac (and didn’t want to subscribe to Adobe).

I did not regret it, like I already said it worked just fine for me.

You will save a TON of money by dumping Adobe.
I did years ago…

Rich the Weather Guy

2 Likes

I’m quite happy with V2. I’m surprised how fast Photo now starts and works compared to V1. That was a real pain… even on my MBP 16" with max power.

1 Like

Besides being able to open IDML, you can also open PDF files on Affinity publisher and edit them. Publisher is much better than Indesign, the efficiency when designing is better and feels smoother. You can easily switch to affinity designer using the persona to work on more design tools or switch to photo to edit photos as you are working on Publisher. Give it a shot and i bet you will not regret it.

1 Like