Thoughts For the New Year

No. You will now go out and create for all these Frameworks free Custom Brics and give free support for users who have trouble with them.

I agree on that, and is also not my business model. As stated above, I am not afraid that this will happen to BlocsApp, as it is already much more advanced.

I personally want to create really advanced add-ons, with a satisfied user community. And I want to be allowed to charge money for such kind of products.

The market will regulate itself. Now demanding what should be free and what is allowed to be charged money for will only kill innovation. Letā€™s see what will happen the next months.

3 Likes

Donā€™t worry about basic features being charged for, Iā€™d nip that in the butt pretty quickly and Iā€™ll tel you how. Iā€™ll be making custom Brics for very simple tasks as well, such as mail chimp and Iā€™d make them completely free.

However, we as a company also have plans for Brics that we will charge extra for. Right now, I donā€™t want to charge yearly for Blocs, push the price too high because the app becomes more pro and I donā€™t want to fragment the pricing model with various versions, but I do want to add BIG features at an additional cost somehow because thatā€™s how Blocs will survive. For example, Pinegrow offer a wordpress version of their app, rather than do that, we would offer Wordpress Brics and additional export features and charge separately for them, I personally feel this works better. Because the user who wants Wordpress pays extra and the user who doesnā€™t isnā€™t forced too.

So to summarise, I think the API will offer both, paid Brics and free ones, I donā€™t think charging for basic API tap in Brics will have a leg to stand on because I or someone else (blocsusers-free-custom-Brics.com :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) will just implement those and dish them out free. However, there will be much more advanced Brics too that will come at a price. Itā€™ll be no different to any other Developer community, Wordpress, Sketch, Photoshop, Shopify. They all offer products made by 3rd parties, many free and some at a price.

One thing is for certain there will be a lot more free Brics than premium ones. I personally like to pay, because I like to get some form of support. Not everyone will offer support for free Brics.

8 Likes

I think this is encouraging news @Norm. To be fair, I would say that @BlocsAddons produces some of the more useful products for Rapidweaver with a relatively small number of the more innovative stacks.

Coming over from Rapidweaver, I imagine some of us feared an onslaught from developers who release a new product every week or two that often duplicate existing products, because they are effectively using much of the same code. They then take over the forums with endless self-promotion and tend to be the same ones who rarely fix bugs or answer support questions when things donā€™t work.

On a side note, I really hope Blocs doesnā€™t move towards a subscription model, because I am very reluctant to go down that route. Itā€™s the feeling that you never own something and that if you stop paying you lose access to old work, which is just a non starter for me.

As an example, I purchased every new version of Photoshop for almost 15 years and stopped dead the moment they announced Photoshop CC. Iā€™m still using CS6 quite happily and when the moment comes Iā€™ll most likely switch to Affinity Photo.

7 Likes

Me too! Iā€™m a big fan of owning software myself!

8 Likes

Totally agreed.
Happy New Year.

3 Likes

Hmmm.

Well as much as I would love to express and respond further. I think it best that I now exit the conversation, and watch from afar.

Thank Norm for again chiming in on this discussion. I think you explained Blocs vision very well. We have seen many companies go the subscription route and I do subscribe to Adobe Photographers bundle. Mainly just because itā€™s affordable and I use Lightroom and Photoshop daily. However I really dislike that model as it normally only caters to the professionals. @Flashman makes a great point about just using something else, Affinity is coming on strong with all of there products. (designer works well)

The most important thing to me is that ā€œBlocsā€ is successful. I want nothing more than for you to be compensated fairly for your work. Just like any profession.

Looking forward to 2018.

Casey

3 Likes

Nice discussion here. I completely support the @Normā€™s vision for API.

Actually, BlocsBrics.com has been online for some time now. It currently forwards to BlocsTemplates.com, but I am planing to use it for a website for sharing of the best free brics for Blocs.

9 Likes

Sounds Nice. It Will be up to all If they want to pay. I would. At least you have a choice.

3 Likes

I like this idea. :smiley: There is so many features of Bootstrap not implemented yet in the Blocs and awaited to care ofā€¦

I see that some have already started their Blocs business ā€¦ It was a matter of time when it happens. BTW, good job, @Eldar!

2 Likes