Tree out of sync and messed up page. Is Blocs strong enough for professional designers?

Continuing the discussion from Blocs V5.1 Beta Build 7 :sweat_smile::

I’m starting a new topic because it was “dissolved” in the 5.1 v7 beta discussion but this behavior also is present in Blocs v5.08.

After initial crashes, things got worse. Totally out of sync with layer tree and impossible to select and modify simple item such as accordion content, wether on canvas or layout tree.

I made a screen movie of it here.

I feel desperate because in each new project for clients I start, I waste much time. And it is not something new. The last bug I reported, self check-uncheck of include jQuery in Project Settings, first was ignored (not reproductible) then took months to be addressed. Other bugs too reported before.

I’m really questioning up to what point Blocs is the good choice for professional web designers. In my case, I always have to develop based on a graphic design, not just a simple template. Does tweaking a template in many ways is too much for Blocs ?

I’d really like to have feedback from other web developers.
Thank you, Stéphane

Seems like the answer is YES ?
https://builtwithblocs.com/

Then as a designer start with empty pages, add blocs and brics, then style things up until your heart is content and your design spec criteria is fulfilled.

I’m sure now with Blocs for iPad even more designers will be thrilled with its abilities to satisfy their need for design freedom. I don’t think Blocs Mac or Blocs iPad hinders designers, instead it amplifies their potential abilities.

You may take a look at this template made by RME.
I call it professional.
https://www.blocs-templates.com/templates/development/index.html

It would be handy to get a copy of your project so this can be looked at in more detail.

4 Likes

Hiya
I watched the video a few times & a couple of things made me wonder!
The first 2 items in the accordion are in the same column… the 3rd one appears to be outside the column (looking at the tree)… so wondering if its being seen as part of the accordion.
The last one appears to be in its own div.
In the video you select the elements by clicking on them on the canvas… that doesn’t necessarily line up with the element you are working on…

I had a quick look at one of my sites… I use an accordion - attaching 2 images (hopefully)… here I set how many items are to be in it… and in the tree you can see they are all included in the same arena (for want of a better word…)

Dear @Bootsie

Thank you for sharing, and bringing this to my attention.

@RME I thought we were past this. Apparently not. Why do you think this is ok? I am tired of this, and this makes me sick in my stomach. Especially, coming from you.

I saw this template yesterday, and I thought: “Cool, it does look strangely familiar to my Photograph template, but I guess Ralf didn’t have a template like this in his collection, so he has decided to create something like this.”

But, after seeing that you forgot to change the SEO description (social card description), I took a closer look at classes under the hood, and I can see now that you have used my PHOTOGRAPH template as a foundation for this project.

I mean, come on…

You are one of the best designers in our community, who I have been praising for years. You were one of my first customers at Blocs Templates, and you surely have the skills to create a template like this from scratch. Why do you steal my work? I am sure you can take every template idea I had and make a better version of my templates, hack, I can do the same to all of my and your templates (if I had time), but why do you need to do what you keep are doing?

It is so wrong on so many levels, and I am tired of this. We talked privately many times, but this time I am posting this here, because you keep ignoring my pleas to respect each other’s work. Look at @AnasHyeee He is doing amazing job, and he never copied anything from you or me. Why can’t you do the same.

3 Likes

Yes, I just changed the 2 items to 5. And it messe up.

Professional ? Maybe. But designed for a specific client need, not.
I don’t judge commercial template. I’m just questioning about tweaking templates to comply to original graphic design.

Sad to see this happen. I’ve always thought Ralf is one of the better designers. He’s had a lot of help from this forum over the years. Be interesting to see a reply from him.

Casey

1 Like

Dear Eldar,

Thank you for your message. I would like to respond to your accusations. I have never copied any templates from you! I build each page from scratch. However, it is true that I used your template as a basis for the latest one. In doing so, I deleted everything, including custom classes, images, and fonts, as well as all the pages. Unfortunately, I accidentally used the first page as a foundation. That was a mistake. I should have restarted normally. Sorry. I worked on the project for a total of 4 weeks. This would not have been necessary if I had copied the project from you. My template has 15 pages with over 100 pictures. It was never my intention to copy anything. Why would I? If the template already exists, why would I create and offer it again?
I understand that it is difficult for you to have a competitor after years of being on your own. You complained about everything I did. You forced me to change my name and prohibited me from using certain names for my templates. I have always complied with everything because I didn’t want a fight with you. By the way, our last contact was in November 2022.

Your offers and your work here for Blocs are amazing. You are the most successful member here. You make a lot of money with your offer. And that’s perfectly fine, because your work is great. I’m really just a small, insignificant member who enjoys creating templates. However, it is good for the community to have a choice. Again, sorry for the mistake. I hope I could explain everything and I hope we can get along without problems in the future.

You see how you contradict yourself here, right?

This is a complete lie. You didn’t delete everything, because the first page is actually 80% of this template. The sidebar, the menu, this is the main selling point of this template. This is how I knew exactly you have used my template, I can see that in the classes used in ‘your’ template.

What are you talking about? What difference does it make if you have a million pages with a billion images. You copied the foundation of the template, which takes the most time when creating a template. It doesn’t make any difference if you will add 1000 new features. Don’t you understand how wrong it is?

You keep saying that to me, and I keep saying to you that you are wrong. It is not difficult for me to have a competition. I love it, really. There were many Blocs designers before you and me, there will be many in the future. It is not about competition, it is about respect, or lack of it.

Do yo know the meaning of words ‘force’ or ‘prohibit’? I have never forced or prohibited you from doing anything. What I did was kindly suggest that you stop using the exact names as my templates, because users are getting confused.

You have no idea how much money I make, and to be honest, even if I made a good money (which I have not, because we are still a very small community) that is none of your business. And it is certainly not giving you the right to steal.

You have been caught stealing from your peer, and instead of just admitting your mistake and pulling the stolen product from your website, you are saying to me how ‘Difficult it is for me to have a competition’ and ‘How much money I make’?

Am I wrong here?

Sorry to @svimic for hijacking this thread. I am not going to waste any more time on this.

As for you @RME, I only have one question. Please show me some respect and answer honestly.

Where did you get this latest version Photograph template from? Because according to my records you didn’t even purchase it. If you have purchased it under alias account, please let me know. If you got it from somebody else, I would like to know who was it, because it is clearly not ok too. I don’t even want to think that you have obtained it illegally. Again, this is not an accusation. I just really want to know.

2 Likes

Here is my final statement: As for the development template, I did use a template from Eldar as a starting point. However, at the beginning of my project, I deleted all the classes, photos, and fonts. Admittedly, I should have started from scratch, but I did not do so in this particular case.

In light of the situation, I would like to donate all the proceeds from the sale of the Development template to the German Diakonie. This organization supports individuals in Ukraine who have been affected by the Russian war attack.

Nevertheless, I firmly reject the claim that I copied from Eldar. I strongly object to the accusations and insults directed at me as a thief. I have expressed all that is necessary, and I have nothing further to add.

@RME

In a couple of minutes I have spent analyzing your project, I have found at least 7 classes which were just basically renamed, and not a single setting touched.

Below are just 4 of these custom classes, which are integral part of why this sidebar menu works. These are not some default classes, these are very specific 100% custom classes created by me, with every single setting, every single number, every single value.

That’s not even the biggest point. Again, according to my records, you didn’t have access to this premium and paid template. Why you were ‘starting’ creating your own template from this one? And how did you get it in the first place?

It is really sad that I have to do this.

2 Likes

Hello @svimic, I’m not sure which discussion you’re continuing, as the only question in your post remained unanswered by you.

I’m not a professional developer, but I’ve built over a dozen websites with Blocs 5. I haven’t encountered any issues like you’re describing with any of them. Additionally, all projects were built from scratch. Since you’re using templates built by third parties, your problem might lie there. :thinking:. Contacting the developer could be not a bad idea. Secondly, don’t use beta versions for commercial projects. This cannot be emphasized enough.

2 Likes

Back to the question in hand - although it’s been a very enjoyable read (sorry!)

I’m not a full time web designer by any means, but I really love using Blocs. If I was to get back into the graphic design game again - and was a bit younger - I would probably try to make more of the website design side using Blocs.

HOWEVER, I have to caveat this with my own experience. I have found that over the past couple of updates it’s become a lot more unstable for me.
It may be my personal setup, not sure, but:
the colour picker is still very clunky
It crashes more often than it ever did
Classes don’t ‘stick’ intermittently
Things can suddenly ‘lock’ (I know some items already are by default)
The menu should be a lot easier to style and more often than not takes longer than the whole site to construct!

I’m not knocking the programme, but for me, it’s progressively getting less stable in most things it does. However, I’ve invested a lot of time in Blocs and I won’t be changing as it’s only a part time job for me. Given a few more updates down the line, I think it will get there for us all.

Hi strathq, the accordion should obviously be as you show it. What you see in the movie is precisely the messed up result. I changed from 3 items (what is created when adding the bric) to 5 using the items options as seen in your shot. I just cannot understand at what point the all thing got confused. I will start over with an empty new project first without styling to see what happens.

Also note that before the messing, I had 2 Blocs crashes on this project. I did continue with Blocs 5.08 on the same project. Maybe it was corrupted with the crashes.

Hi @Jerry, you’re probably right. I should start from scratch in Blocs instead of using a template. As I’m coming from the Joomla world, with CMS we usually start with a template otherwise we would need to learn the language to build up the template.

You’re also right about using beta. As I’m passionate on trying, testing and discovering applications, I can’t wait to go forward. Bad habit ! Even with Adobe CC, sometimes updates are causing problems. In this case I wanted to try Blocs 5.1 with Minimalist Library from Eldar.

As said in another post, I will start from scratch and see.
Thanks.

Templates can be a great starting point and often fulfil the purpose perfectly. However, when you make modifications to them, you might run into issues, just like with any template, whether it’s Blocs or not.

2 Likes

Templates are a great source of inspiration. I browse the web a lot, looking at templates and websites all over the place to get inspired. And I do indeed use layouts or parts that I like (hard to always come up with completely new ideas really, since everything’s been used somewhere anyway). Nothing wrong with that.

I do prefer to create my own classes and styles though, hence I would never use a template and adjust it for me. Too much hassle, renaming and adjusting classes that already exist. Nah, not for me. I prefer to create them from scratch. That’s just easier for me.

1 Like