Update of macOS needed for Blocs4 (now Sierra 10.12). WHICH macOS is best? any workarounds?

I need your advise please:

Yes Blocs 4 looks nice, yes I bought it right away, but it won’t even install on my old Sierra 10.12 system…

I guess, my hardware would even survive an upgrade to a newer version, but I am very afraid that my nerves will not survive it easily… :see_no_evil:

I’m on a 2014 MacBook Pro that sometimes already behaves strangely and I do not want to „risk“ anything. (I have no emergency machine right now).

What should I do?
Blocs 4 would be the ONLY reason for an update and I don’t even know, to WHICH NEW SYSTEM I should update to???

I read that HIGH Sierra 10.3 would let Blocs run, so would that step be the safest, being just One step further?

What were your experiences with the different macOS systems?
Which were reliable and which brought big changes???

1. any workarounds?
    Alternative to installing a newer macOS system: ???
    is it possible to stay with Sierra and use an external hard drive with High Sierra (or whatever) just for Blocs???
    If yes: HOW ???

I have NO idea what to do, so I kindly ask all you gentlemen for help please.
Thank you in advance :pray: :smiley:

1. @Norm
    CAN I somehow still use Blocs 4 on Sierra 10.12 with some trick? You wrote that right now Blocs 4 works fine on HIGH Sierra 10.13, so my big hope is, that it would even be possible for 10.12……

btw @Norm: thank you for all your hard work! You are awesome!!! :partying_face:

Catalina brings a huge change, it stops 32bit programs from working. I kept a Parallels install of Mohave and run a couple of programs in that.

There is a great program that patches iPhoto and Aperture and iTunes to get them to work on Catalina. Retroactive

1 Like

Hi ms-sun, I am running blocs 4 on High siera, with no problems but its version 10.13 so give it a try

Schermafbeelding 2020-11-27 om 10.04.23

1 Like

Thank you both!
@Bloccali that’s good to know that 10.15 Catalina is this big change.

@Sandy
When you’re now on 10.13 High Sierra, did you update FROM 10.12 Sierra?
Do you maybe recall, what problems & changes were, when going from 10.12 to 10.13?
Or does anybody else, what I should expect from updating from 10.12 to 10.13? Sierra to High Sierra

I wonder what technical reason there could be, that blocs would not support from 10.12, but 10.13? @Norm
That made me think, that 10.13 would be quite a big step and that from 10.13 must be very very different from 10.12…???

I also forgot to “admit“ :wink: that I have stone age iPhone with fitting stone age iOS. I cannot image it to be good to have a much newer macOS than the iOS systems… is that right??

If your computer can handle it and you don’t require any old 32-bit apps I would go straight to Big Sur. That will be the best for security and ongoing compatibility with Blocs. Failing that Mojave has 32-bit compatibility as well and continued security updates for another year. It’s also rock solid.

Catalina works but it was never my favourite OS overall. Fine for Blocs 4 though.

2 Likes
1 Like

yes I just updated from 10.12 to 10.13 the normal ‘apple’ way, (its bin some time, but is far is as recall its the time the 32 bit programs start not to work anymore and they introduce the new Apple File System (APFS) on 64 bit. I think thats why Blocs will NOT work on 10.12.

10.13 ( high sierra ) is ok now for Blocs 4 and the lowest version still supported for Blocs, but I am sure that in the near future this support will drop as well. So If you make a step to upgrade you machine do it to the latest version :smiley: good luck ( and make Time Machine backups before you start :sweat_smile: )

Something important to consider here is that any OS older than Mojave is not receiving security updates. Leaving Blocs aside for one moment it’s a major risk being on the internet with an OS that isn’t seeing those updates.

1 Like

I’m one of the people who needs to upgrade my OS soon (10.13 High Sierra here)

The first thing I’ve done is check what 32bit apps I might be running.

2 Likes

If you have a lot of video media encoded with old codecs on your computer you might have to transcode them before upgrading to get them to play

Larry Jordan explains:

I too had the same issue when I bought Blocs 4+. The app would not install as I was running MacOS 10.12: Sierra - 2016. I installed macOS 10.15 Catalina and Blocs 4+ is running superbly so far on all my testings. Even though my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) will run macOS Big Sur, I prefer not to challenge that OS yet, as the newer the OS on the older machines the more issues might occur with new emerging technology sometimes.

From my recent experience, most times you just have to experiment and follow the leads from our forum which is so dynamic and gives excellent support for making decisions with regards to solving problems we encounter with an excellent web app such as Blocs. Excellent job as usual @Norm

Hope you are able to resolve this quickly to enjoy the experiments and fun I have been having with Blocs 4+

Dang @Whittfield you’re the last person that I thought would not at least running Catalina?

Casey

@anon88726992

horrible! :scream: Could you solve that???

Thank you all for your helpful info!
Unfortunately I had to find out, that I indeed have 32-Bit Apps on my Sierra System (10.12) that I wouldn’t want to miss. :frowning:
Did I get that right: HIGH Sierra (10.13) DOES still allow those 32-Bit programs?
Always?

When I last updated the macOS, I made a fully bootable backup clone first (I have forgotten how I did that though).
Now I wonder if it makes sense to have an external drive not as backup, BUT as the newer system with 10.13, while my MacBook STAYS with 10.12 (Sierra).
Could that work???
It’s only only only about Blocs 4 and I still find it very unfortunate that Blocs 4 does not open on Sierra 10.12 …

While I understand that there are much more important things to do, I still wonder if @Norm can tell me some workaround maybe, so that I can at least TRY how Blocs 4 would behave on 10.12…???

High Sierra allows 32-bit apps, but so does Mojave, which I personally feel is a better option. I am still running Photoshop CS6 with Mojave for this reason. Blocs is also running well on Mojave.

Thank you @Flashman ! I had thought that High Sierra (10.13) would be the „last step“ for me now. Why do you like Mojave better than High Sierra?

(this whole update-thing feels worse than having to go to the dentist - maybe I’m too timid… :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil:)

I have found Mojave to be more stable and smoother running than High Sierra. Another reason to go for Mojave is that it still has security updates for another year, which is not the case with High Sierra.

Would you assume that Mojave would be also running smother on an old 2014 MacBook Pro or would it then be wiser to update „as little as possible“ and just go for High Sierra?

I am running Mojave on a mid 2010 Mac Pro. This computer was originally limited to High Sierra, but after a graphics card upgrade I was able to run Mojave and found it much more stable. I don’t really understand the idea of upgrading as little as possible if there is a better alternative.

You could always check with others on the Mac Rumors forum to see how others have found the 2014 MBP with different OS versions. MacBook Pro | MacRumors Forums

2 Likes