Updated site for 2023

Hello everyone and happy new years! I just recently made some updates to my site.

Other than the SSL, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

Looks nice. However, on my iPhone the menu does not work. It’s not clickable. Neither in portrait or landscape view.

Update
Needed a few reloads and clicks, but it works now. Still odd :thinking:

1 Like

Looks fantastic!! I don’t know if I have an internet-hiccup; but the website was loading pretty slow… But more important: the design is great!!!

1 Like

I added an active-link class which seemed to interfere with the navigation. I removed it.

Thanks.

Appreciated thanks. Should work smoother now as I was uploading some additional content.

Really nice looking site.
I’ve only viewed it on my Mac so far and it’s a bit slow at loading considering the content of the pages. Not awful, but not quick either. Could it be the size of the background images? Haven’t checked, just a thought.

1 Like

There’s 50% to save here. The whole image folder is 2.8MB when I run it through Image Tool+ it reduces the size to 1.4MB

1 Like

@Jerry, quick question. Short of downloading the assets from any site, I can’t see any way (in Safari web inspector) to see any file sizes - am I missing something with my stupid fat head?

Hi @Jerry,

Do you have a recommended image size you downsize to? I have all my images below the 500kb size. Should I maybe set a minimum of 400kb or even 300kb?

I also tested my site on https://gtmetrix.com and the results were great but I do sometimes notice the lag to load. Is it a Blocs or a cache bust issue?

Here are my current setting for export.

There is no set size as such, it’s very dependant on the images in question. Some designs are heavier than others and some images optimise better than others.

You do have to also consider devices at smaller breakpoints which is usually a huge chuck of your traffic, and serving smaller images optimised for those breakpoints can be an advantage.

It’s really a balance based on the project. But if you have 500kb images, and have 6 images on a page, that’s 3mb just in images right there.

Speed tests are a nice reference, but there are a lot of factors, good hosting is important.

Once you have finished developing, disable cache burst, that encourages everything to reload when browsing, and is really only for development.

2 Likes

Me either :grin:… Downloading the files will.

You can use Chrome- Inspector and look in Sources.

Alternatively use PageSpeed Insights to show the biggest files.

1 Like

Is it beneficial to use Cache Bust CSS and JS?
Are there any issues using the feature in Blocs v5.x?

Only when developing. It adds ?2332 (random number) to the end of the CSS and JS file reference in the header so those files reload and not cache. That way changes are reflected without you having to clear your browser cache.

You want to disable is on a live site ideally.

2 Likes

Thanks Pete, I disabled cache bust. I’ll also do another round of optimizing my images. Happy New Year!

1 Like

Happy new year to you too.

1 Like