Web hosting discussion

I just “LOST IT” with Heart Internet and they can put their hosting and my domain where the sun doesn’t shine. So I’m looking for a new host and reading through these pages HOSTINGER SEEMS QUITE POPULAR WITH BLOCS SITE BUILDERS. I will need a new domain and I understand they can probably supply these too. I am now 78 and just enjoy digital painting, so a website may help me to share some of my work and may earn me a shilling or two. I know Eldar is using Hostinger, which means it copes well with Blocs website Builder projects Am I correct?..Your thoughts are always useful. Ideas for a new site name will be helpful, I paint on iPad with Procreate and have the three Affinity programs Photo/Designer/Publisher for graphics, photo editing and book publishing etc. Any ideas for a name? LOL!

Hi @yoshi2, any reputable company should be able to handle Blocs sites.
Blocs is only the builder of the site and it exports standard html/php sites, which are common.
I use a company in the UK called ineedwebhosting.co.uk for both hosting and domain names and never had any problems. The owner, David, crops up on here from time to time also.

78dpi.co.uk etc (78yrs old, digital paintings illustrator!) sorry, couldn’t help it!

OK TrevReav. Helpful suggestion Thank you Sir. 78dpi? Nah! nearly as pixelated as me!

1 Like

First of all, well done indeed for building your own website at 78. My father is 80 and he only manages the basics like web browsing and email.

Blocs has no particular web requirements and practically any well known host should be adequate in technical terms, so your main requirement should really be how they operate and technical support. You probably want a web host in your own country. I use guru.co.uk for myself and clients, mainly due to performance and stability. They are popular with professional web designers.

If your website if for hobby use and you are an amateur I think kualo.co.uk are a good bet. They are very helpful at walking you through any issues or questions, so I think that should be less stressful. They are a bit expensive for domain registration and I prefer namecheap.com for that.

If your website is for artwork why not use your own name?

I liked the look of ineedwebhosting and I just had a quote for digitalpaintworks.co,uk…lookin’ good

Flashman Sir, Thank you I will take it on board, but I don’t think my own name will do the trick, instantly forgettable

I also use Hostinger. They have their own custom made cpanel that makes things very easy.

Be careful of custom made control panels. They can make life tricky if you ever want to migrate away to another host. In general cPanel is a good idea though.

Yeah, I heard those concerns before when I first looked at hosting providers. From the looks of it, Hostinger wasn’t missing any features and I was able to move a client website off my account to their Bluehost account (domain needed time before transferring - 60 days from registration :thinking:).
That being said, I always keep the backups if anything goes wrong.

I HIGHLY recommend 20i. I have their reseller account. Support is pretty much instant and their built in optimisations are phenomenal.

Love this US based company This is the one I use
https://www.knownhost.com/semi-dedicated-servers.html

Hostinger worked much better than GoDaddy for me, but these days I have moved all of my websites to Blocs Master Hosting (my own server set by one of my friends/Blocs users). As others said, any modern hosting will work fine with Blocs.

I switched to Serverprofis in 2018 and am still very happy with it. I have rented two reseller packages. Cheap, 100% uptime, fast and friendly support.

I was with Namecheap, but like so many hosts, they bump the price up considerably at the end of the first year. Most hosts aren’t very loyal and tend too price you out. Then I found CheapWebHosting (https://www.cheapwebhosting-uk.co.uk). Cheap by name, quality by nature. :smiley:

I currently pay £30 per annum and get:
5GB SSD storage
Unlimited Bandwidth
5 Unique Websites
FREE SSL Certificates
Cloudlinux Servers
Unlimited MySQL Databases
Unlimited Email Addresses
Remote Weekly Backups

They don’t bump the price up at the end of your contract. They don’t spam you. In fact I rarely ever hear from them. 99.9% uptime rings more truer than any host I’ve used before and I’ve been through a lot since 1996, and usually have to jump ship every year due to extortionate price hikes. They have a variety of packages starting at £1 up to £66 for 15 GB storage and unlimited websites.
If you pay for 12 months upfront, you get 25% off for your first year.
Their servers are based in London and New York.

I don’t work for them, should you be wondering, I’m just really happy with them so far.

Hope this helps.

@gemini Just a small correction - Namecheap don’t bump the price at the end of the contract term - they discount their first year charges. They then revert to their normal charging structure when you renew. I’ve been with Namecheap for many years and have several accounts. I’ve never had the price bumped during the whole time I’ve been with them. Of course, there will be cheaper web hosts out there but you make your choice based on your needs and what you can afford.

@hendon52 I stand corrected. I think it was the sting of suddenly having to pay for the SSL certificates that clouded my memory/experience, and that was a real stinger for me, way beyond my budget.

1 Like

I don’t think any web host should charge for SSL these days. For the vast majority, free Let’s Encrypt is the way to go with single click install and automatically renewed.

2 Likes

I think they target people who would normally not know how SSL works. I know for a fact that Hostinger tries to charge $10 for Let’s Encrypt Certificate that auto-renews itself.

That’s borderline criminal/fraud :open_mouth:

I’d actually state the opposite. Be very careful of things like cPanel, DirectAdmin and Plesk.
A lot of hacks happen through exploits found in these systems. And once they find one, they have a huge number of servers running this software.

Examples:

https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013996240-CVE-2020-13166-myLittleAdmin-vulnerability

While with a custom control panel, the code isn’t as easily available as that of Plesk, cPanel and the lot. This makes it far more difficult to hack a custom control panel.

The economics of scale are also in play here. Investing tens of hours in finding a way to abuse a leak makes much more sense if you can apply it to every server running cPanel for example than for a single custom control panel serving (for example) 10 000 clients.
This is also why WordPress (and especially the larger plugins) are attacked far more than for example a Joomla install (43% of all cms-based sites vs 1.8%, data of December 2021).

So really, it’s a two-edged knife.