What Apps do you use?

Here is another good question to see what others are using.

In providing a space for clients to share assets I’m using DropBox and Paper. Paper has its weakness in that it doesn’t clearly define the conversations so well. But I’ve built a couple of large CMS projects using it and was priceless for communication.

On bigger stuff I use wetransfer. Most clients have WhatsApp so we tend to use that for sending over password etc. For the rest it’s just email and I find that horribly inefficient as a means of communication. I think Slack could be better, but I cannot imagine many wanting to go down that route because they have zero technical understanding.

1 Like
  • I use Box and Dropbox and WeTransfer on occasion. It depends on the client and has more to do with legal matters than anything.

• Invision for making quick prototypes from art files and gathering client feedback.

• I participate regularly in both client and team meetings using GoToMeeting, Microsoft Teams.

1 Like

I’d like to throw:

• Scapple (nice, clean mind-mapping)

and

• Hindenburg Journalist (hassle-free audio editing)

into the mix. I use these two quite a lot.

1 Like

Very cool. I use Scrivener, excellent software. Although I haven’t tried Scapple yet.

I am just playing with the trial version but Pixave looks very interesting for asset management and key wording. It handles 41 formats and you can use it for everything from fonts to movies with easy sorting and includes a useful built in screenshot feature. http://www.littlehj.com/mac/

I found this through a recommendation when looking for something fast as an alternative to Lightroom or Bridge for asset management without the bloat.

1 Like

Hmm looks like images have to be exported before saved tags can be viewed elsewhere as keywords. This is pretty lame, especially when the available export format does not match the original. It should be possible to write this direct to the original file and then be legible in other apps.

Hi @Flashman You may want to have a look at https://eagle.cool/

1 Like

The export with water mark feature looks great. I will have a need for that next year for a site Im doing.

Is this Pixave you’re talking about?

Yes Pixave. I’ve invested in a number of infographics and mockups etc in various formats that can be used on websites, so my interest is being able to search for image assets very quickly based on metadata keyword searches. Once you get past 10,000 assets it becomes a nightmare searching without keywords.

Pixave (strange name) can actually apply tags super quickly inside the app, but the whole point of metadata is that you want to embed it in the original file, so it can be read in other apps and transfer to derivative versions of the file. I’ll probably end up going back to Lightroom for this task, which does it properly, but sooner or later I’ll be dumping Adobe and I want to have these files organised in advance.

Bummer, If you look at updates, (the footer of the page only lists an update from over a year ago) But the release notes page shows the most recent updates have just been UI fixes. The app maybe just in maintenance mode and development has slowed or stopped? No features since 2017.

What happens if you submit a feature request.

I don’t know, but I am not hopeful. It does all look a bit neglected and there has been no activity on their Twitter account in almost 2 years.

I actually recall looking at this app some time ago, maybe it was features on Apple insider or Mac Rumours? Especially around the time Aperture was being dropped.
Its a pity, there is a market for something like this @Norm what are you doing in your spare time :wink: lol

Hi @Flashman

Have you had a look at eagle.cool ?

Just in case, I am not affiliated in anyway just using their app.

I’ve looked at the webpage but not downloaded it. At some point I am hoping that Affinity comes out with something to challenge Lightroom, but I cannot wait a year or three to sort out this new catalogue of content in the meantime.

Pixave only makes sense if you are convinced you will never use another app, otherwise those saved keywords are useless. Not embedding them in the original files is dumb. Another point is that I seem to have lost 35 gigs of drive space, even though the Pixave database is only 2 gigs.

FYI @Flashman

Export with Tags When exporting images with tags applied, Pixave internally stores the tags within the images’ IPTC metadata as Keywords. This allows other applications supporting IPTC to open the exported image and immediately use the tags that have been applied. Needless to say, accommodating the industry standard is a given. OS X Tags also!

from their website

MDS

Yes it’s a really dumb way of working. You have an AI illustrator or an Affinity Photo file and they’ll only let you export a copy with keywords in an alternative format like Jpeg. They must have stayed up all night thinking about how they could get such an obvious idea so wrong.

Oups did not realize it was a jpeg export. :slightly_frowning_face:

Shows the app is probably end of life. I would imagine a developer could hook into the tagging system already in MacOS? I’m not a developer so its a guess.

So does anyone use Xero for their book keeping?

And if so have your tried using the following to manage your proposals, t&c, and payment automation.