What do you use to document or note your work?

Hi all,

I have used many different apps and there have been so much come onto the market recently.

I still use Evernote as my go to app and its pretty good, but just seeing if there is anything better out there? I have the full google suite for my normal business…but never used their note system?

Basically apart from notes for every day life etc - here we all build websites and many for clients, so how (if you do) do you document any notes, dates when sites were built, when they need to re-invoiced for hosting. Also document what brics, have been bought - notes on what css to use on it etc…

There are so many things that need to be documented!

What is your choice of weapon!?

And one thing I 100% need is the app to be able to be on desktop, tablet and mobile and all sync and be fully passworded.

I use the standard Apple Notes application for documenting website info. I use screenshots of customisations, settings and and code so I know what was done to create a particular site. These are then added as notes and images. The notes can be locked with password protection and are saved to iCloud for easy retrieval on other devices. The Notes app allows you to add checklists and tables to your notes. Tables are quite nice for storing access information such as cPanel logins and FTP credentials etc. Once created, you can edit notes to add or update information in them.

For renewals of hosting etc, I usually rely on the hosting provider, but as a belt and braces approach, I always set renewal dates in the standard Apple Calendar app. This can be set to remind me of important dates and to alert me several days ahead of time. It also has the ability to add attachments and notes.

Both of these apps can save information to iCloud. There really isn’t much else that is needed.

2 Likes

Hi @AdieJAM, I’ve tried several pieces of software to keep notes but moved a few months ago, like @hendon52, all to apple Notes. Simple, easy, and part of the Apple eco system.

2 Likes

Hi,
After trying various note programs, I took Apple Notes for my work, such as @hendon52 and @Alemán

1 Like

What, when etc. - I note all that in the apple calendar (and it also syncs with all devices)

1 Like

Thank you everyone and @hendon52 - I never ever knew you could lock the content in apple notes !! this a game changer for me as security etc is HUGE. When I do events - there are times when I leave my iPad for a minute and you just never know. I will admit - I do LOVE the design of evernote - but this is easier for me to navigate.

I can create folders for clients and lock all content in there.

Thanks all ! - Time to start moving notes over !

A pen and paper. Drawing software. Maybe even post-it notes.

regarding taking Screenshots :

my tool for that is:

SnapNDrag Pro by yellowmug (one of those nice old developers)

It has a lot of possibilities and it’s worth looking closely at the options of this little app.

It is also very practical for example when watching tutorials/ webinars. I use it just with TextEdit. So, I can find stuff later because if my written text and then there are the (partial/fullscreen) screenshots (with oder without annotations) as a quick reminder. :wink:

If you need screenshots often, you maybe want to give extra shortcuts for full and partial screenshot. Hope that helps someone. :slight_smile:

I agree - a good screen grab utility can have many advantages - I use Capto when I want something more sophisticated - like taking a screen shot of a whole web page. However, for documenting web site information quickly I find that the standard Mac “Cmd+Shift+4” function works just fine. If I need to add annotations I just double-click the screenshot and use Preview’s built-in annotations tools. Of course, if you want to grab video snippets etc. A third party utility is always a good option.

Its
cmd - Shift - 4

or

cmd - shift - 3 (screenshot of the full screen) :wink:

2 Likes

[quote=“hendon52, post:9, topic:12210”]
I use Capto when I want something more sophisticated - like taking a screen shot of a whole web page
[/quote] Yes of course, “Ctrl+Shift+4” can be absolutely enough, however, it produces huge png images and if I have a long TextEdit document with a lot of screenshots then I found it nicer to have those images as jpg and as an option in low quality. But of course, that is all a matter of the use cases. :wink:

Capto - I didn’t know that one.

I would need a good tool for taking a screenshot of a whole page that shows the actual design (which cmd P doesn’t).

Is Capo the tool you all use for that purpose?

Hello @Ms_Sun, I’m using Snagit for screen captures. So far it has never disappointed me.

Thank you, does Screen capture mean as an IMAGE or as a VIDEO?
I’d now only need the image (PDF) of a whole Website.

Hello @Ms_Sun if you allow me and you need to capture the entire webpage, open the website in Chrome, and you can use the following extension:

1 Like

oh cool thing! @Pealco Does Firefox have something like that too?

@Ms_Sun this is if you want not use an extension:

This is the extension for firefox:

1 Like

Technical notes can be stored in the Notes app. Passwords etc in 1Password and those should be very thorough. Invoicing dates for hosting renewal etc in a Numbers spreadsheet, however this is backed up by Calendar reminders.

As far as possible I try to keep everything with Mac based apps that are synched through iCloud, so they can be instantly updated and picked up on a second computer. The OS also has a dedicated screenshot app.

Why they have not made this App for Safari, I don’t understand. I use this everyday. I like it! :slight_smile:

@pumpkin Thanks for the correction.

1 Like

FireShot App

JUST when I thought „That’s it“:

look: not only is it not for Safari but, „temporarily“ only for Windows:crazy_face:

still 2 hours BlaclFriday offer… for Windows…