Who is getting a new MBP then?

Folks we have chatted to Tim Apple, he says he will provide new Mac Book Pros for all Blocs users absolutely free, since we blessed the Mac with the best web design tool in the world :innocent: :rofl:

14 Likes

I knew there was a reason they ditched iWeb, the market was hotting up and they couldnā€™t keep up, too many features rolled out in 4. :rofl:

4 Likes

Ordered mine 1st thing Tuesday morning! Canā€™t wait to play. I love my mini, with itā€™s humbe M1, but I canā€™t wait to unleash the M1 Maxā€¦ 64Gb too!!! Wowsers. Cā€™mon Appleā€¦ Ship it now!!

2 Likes

:alarm_clock:
Time to wake up
@Norm !!!

2 Likes

Easy there @rojharris

1 Like

I donā€™t know what you smoked or drankā€¦ but I want that too!!

Sounds like a good plan, give the Air to you wife and go for it! :rofl:

2 Likes

The thing to keep in mind is that single core performance on the M1 Pro and Max will be very similar to the existing 13 inch M1 Air and Pro. So for most people, they wonā€™t actually see a notable difference unless theyā€™re really pushing the machine. Basically unless your workload normally has activity monitor showing that youā€™re pegging all your CPU cores up near 100, you wonā€™t get much from the M1 Pro or M1 Max other than making you ā€˜feelā€™ more Pro.

Now, if youā€™re somebody who is regularly exporting large files, working on video projects, or software development projects, sure you can probably saturate all your cores. But when I look at getting a new Macā€¦ Iā€™m sad to admit Iā€™ve gone from being the kid with the 333Mhz iMac constantly waiting for progress bars, to the adult with the 6 core i7 who already never has to wait for a meaningful amount of time. While Iā€™d LOVE it if somebody bought me an M1 Max laptopā€¦ I honestly donā€™t think any of my work projects could come close to utilizing it anymore.

I think there are more advantages to the new models than simply CPU performance, but leaving that aside, I agree that for most of us going for the top model is often unnecessary. If I look at my retiring 8 Core Mac Pro going up for sale there have been very few occasions when it has worked at maximum CPU over a sustained period, such as when exporting renders from Maya. Most of the time it was barely ticking over with email or web browsing.

If your main app is Blocs an M1 Max is likely to be extreme overkill for the foreseeable future. On the the other hand it does provide you with more flexibility if your workflow changes in a year or you are likely to have times when running more than one intensive process, like editing 4K video while also rendering with Maya in the background and not noticing the strain.

The truly amazing thing about these new M1 machines for me is that itā€™s the first time when I donā€™t automatically feel like I will need the high end machine and it still wonā€™t be enough at times. I havenā€™t seen an M1 in action, but by all accounts they are very fast indeed. The new Pro and Max variations seem targeted at creatives producing graphic intensive content.

You can be sure a time will come when Apple will exclude the M1 from certain new features but say they are still possible on an M1 Pro or Max, so from that perspective I would say the decision is slightly more nuanced and likely depends on how much you are happy to spend at the time.

In the immediate future Iā€™ll stick with the i7 six core mini and wait for when the new minis come out. In general I always like to have two working computers available.

I am amazed that the Apples still integrate a tried and tested headphone jack? When they have an adapter for it. We live in a crazy world! :crazy_face: :rofl:

Well i have a few tech friends who have managed to get their machines and all they are saying is WOW!

They do need the power as they use it for video editing and rendering videos. So far the iPro Max is out performing a near Ā£8,000 desktop editing machine at nearly 3 times quicker at rendering.

What people are saying on youtube is that this machine is slightly thicker - and yes it isā€¦but look at the power! - if you want a slim line machine for every day work - then the MacBook air is for you, this is why their is choice.

If you need a ā€˜PROā€™ machine then this is where these machines come in.

If you are just running just Blocs and some basic applications then the M1 Pro could be the best choice as the MAX is an overkill.

But then again, if you are a full time website developer, want to run 2 or 3 external screens, have graphics applications open whole working in Blocs and working on design softwareā€¦then the Max is worth every penny!

I personally think the last batch of MacBook proā€™s were goodā€¦but not great, apple lost its way to being too fancy in design and not giving true pro machines for users who needed them.
Not knocking the last batch of machines - but I know so many video engineers on live events that slated the machines for being the first Pro machines that were none pro.

Welcome back Apple!!!