WP 5.8 Update in a week

Those statements are so true for so many things across todays web-ecosphere. :wink:

2 Likes

I have never used a paid version of wordpress - I host mine on my server.

I have only done some small stuff and I have used the free Elementor to create this too and loved the tools.

I am not too fluent with WP - but managed a few websites but I 100% prefer Blocs and continue to build in Blocs.

I am so tempted to copyright this as a sales pitch and release a guidebook book on Amazon.

3 Likes

You’re talking about WordPress COM.
That’s a managed hosted solution owned by automattic and there’s both a free and a paid plan.

But that’s not the “real” WordPress if you want so. It uses WordPress but is managed and also has quite some differences to the self hosted solution, which is the CMS (available 100% for free).

Self hosted here means you’ll need a server (and that’s not free). But the WordPress cms is free, and so are 50k plugins downloadable from their repo (and thousands of themes, too).
You can access and download the free, original WordPress at the ORG site (wordpress.org)

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I provided above in simplistic form so if a person wanted to read, research and understand. It’s a pity this fact is so widely misunderstood still after all these years. It probably remains pretty profitable for the .com because of it though. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I think it’s been put in several ways now in this thread. But I think he’s left the building :rofl:

It’s rather deceptive the way they present it. I’m sure a lot of people are spending $$ because they draw the same conclusions.

1 Like

No surprise, being the first thing you see in WordPress landing page about how to install it, “WordPress com is the easiest thing”.
See Download – WordPress.org

Another reason why to move. In other areas this would be misleading sales forcing lol.

1 Like

Looks like my offer of $250 is a good deal :rofl::rofl::crazy_face:

1 Like

For one instance? :smiley:

1 Like

But you get a whole year @Jannis :rofl:

1 Like

That’s superior service :rocket::fire::star_struck:

1 Like

I’m in direct competition with Wordpress :grin:

I’ll do it for $249!

You enjoy the race to the bottom :joy:

2 Likes

Just for everyone’s info, I have tested it.

And blocs does not work anymore 100% flawless now with WP.

Since they now assume the backed to be the front end in Widget Editor area, all (Yes, all) scripts loaded by a Blocs Theme load in that backend. That can not go well, and it does not go well.
The console piles up with errors due to stuff in blocs.min.js (not sure if my effects I added with Blocs to the front end or else things).

Also not sure if this is even replicable on a “simple” dummy site freshly setup, but it is clearly replicable on the instance of blocs theme which has worked so smoothly now since I own the app.

With this, I think it’s consolidated :poop:

This is sounding like a huge car crash and not just for Blocs users who have exported themes. I was wondering if a WP site can easily be converted to ClassicPress. My thought was if the theme could be developed in Blocs for WP, then applied to ClassicPress later on.

1 Like

It can, with a migration plugin.

I wouldn’t even use WP anymore on my own main site wouldn’t it be for a plugin I use there (Toolset) which is amazingly power full but requires WP 5.+
I am in the process of downgrading said plugin so I can migrate to CP

Done with fixing things that worked for the past 9 years just because someone decided randomly backend is equal front end now.

Blocs for now certainly is more CP Compatible than it is WP Compatible (also but not limited to functions like wp_body_open which are part of WP 5.+ and not used by CP, neither by Blocs)…

I’ve been asking Norm since a while to consider CP, also because they do not yet have an established builder around, it could be a marketing opportunity for Blocs (if that’s needed then).

I would pay extra for a export option and continued support for WP 4.9, or in other words, CP

@Norm just for your info, CP also means less headache because they user Semver, thus things do not break just “because a version was released”. And the development roadmap is way less “fancy” than WPs. The main target prospect of CP is business owners - those cannot deal with a update all 3 months that fucks up an entire ecosystem. Thus it might mean less maintenance work, more Blocs users, win win on all sides :slight_smile:

1 Like